Ascension Saint Mary - Kankakee
- Hospital/Medical Center
- Emergency Care
500 West Court St
Kankakee, IL 60901
Open 24 hours a day, 7 day a week
What type of appointment would you like to book?
When you give the gift of yourself at Ascension Saint Mary Kankakee, you gain a feeling of satisfaction that comes from helping others. As a volunteer, you make a commitment to assist in providing quality healthcare services to our community. Your involvement opens doors to new friendships, personal growth and fulfillment. You will have a stake in the future and quality of our community's healthcare.
Why volunteer at Ascension Saint Mary Kankakee?
People join our volunteer group because they enjoy caring for and helping others, are interested in healthcare, or are looking for ways to give back to the community.
- Students and those interested in a new career can gain exposure to various parts of healthcare before committing to a college major or career path
- Older adults find volunteering a great way to stay active and know that they are making a meaningful contribution to other peoples' lives
- Attend a volunteer orientation
- Complete a volunteer application
- Attend an interview session
- Complete the following health requirements:
- Two tuberculosis tests; may be completed at an Employee Health (no cost to you) or an Occupational Health location (for a fee)
- A Health Clearance form completed by the volunteer and their doctor
- A flu shot performed, at no charge to you, by Associate Health Services upon starting service
- Submit information for a criminal background check and orientation paperwork
- Purchase and receive your uniform
- Receive your volunteer assignment and get started
- Complete onsite training in assigned department upon beginning your assignment (mandatory training sessions will also be scheduled annually for all volunteers)
- Early childhood development
- Social services
- Physical therapy
- Transport services
- Business and communications
- Customer relations
- Patient care and non-patient care areas
The Auxiliary Coffee Shop and programs
The Auxiliary owns and operates The Gathering Grounds Coffee and Gift Shop located in the lobby of Ascension Saint Mary Kankakee.
The Auxiliary has received national recognition for other projects such as the Caring Tree and the Putting It Together Teen Style Show. The Caring Tree Project assists the less fortunate in our community. The Putting It Together Teen Style Show is a program developed for students to gain skills on learning to produce and host a large fundraising event.