Pediatric sleep specialists in Indianapolis
Not getting enough sleep, especially for a child, can lead to physical and emotional health concerns. Our goal is to help find the cause of your child’s sleep condition and create a care plan to help improve their sleep. At Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at Ascension St. Vincent, our sleep specialists are here for your child and family.
Signs of anxiety, sleepwalking, bed-wetting, night terrors, and trouble staying awake in school are common symptoms of a sleep disorder. We start by listening to you and your child to understand your concerns. Then, we work together to create a personalized care plan for your child and family. If your doctor recommends a pediatric sleep study, we connect the dots for your care with dedicated pediatric specialists who have expertise in recognizing and monitoring sleep concerns in children.
Pediatric sleep specialists at Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital diagnose and treat many childhood sleep conditions, including:
- Obstructive sleep apnea (when the upper airway collapses while sleeping)
- Central sleep apnea (when breathing repeatedly stops during sleep)
- Hypoventilation disorders (conditions that affect breathing)
- Sleep related hypoxemia (low levels of oxygen while sleeping)
- Hypersomnia (excessive daytime sleepiness)
- Narcolepsy (difficulty staying awake)
- Parasomnias (nightmares, night terrors and sleepwalking)
- Restless leg syndrome
- Circadian rhythm disorder
- Insomnia (difficulty falling or staying asleep)
Pediatric sleep studies
Pediatric sleep testing is different from sleep testing for adults. Your child’s sleep medicine doctor works with specialists at Ascension St. Vincent Indianapolis Sleep Center. The pediatric sleep center was designed with children and family in mind – with comfortable rooms for sleep studies. For children who need an overnight sleep study, a parent or loved one will stay the night with their child. And, the sleep lab is accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. This accreditation ensures high-quality, compassionate care is delivered to patients with sleep disorders. For questions or to schedule a sleep study, call 800-972-7869.
A consultation with a board-certified sleep medicine doctor will help determine which study is right for your child. Diagnostic and therapeutic sleep studies, including:
- Outpatient sleep study
- Multiple sleep latency test (evaluates daytime sleepiness and helps diagnose narcolepsy)
- Actigraphy (at-home sleep study)
- CPAP/ BiPAP monitoring
- Sleep endoscopy (airway evaluation while asleep)
- Sleep diary or sleep log
- Nocturnal oximetry (an overnight test that evaluates oxygen levels while asleep)
- Cardiac apnea monitoring (monitors the heart rate of sleeping babies)
A multispecialty approach to your child’s care
When you choose Peyton Manning Children's Hospital for your child’s sleep study, you are choosing a team of specialists dedicated to your child’s care. Our team of pediatric specialists includes a sleep medicine doctor, advanced practice providers, child life specialists, dieticians, nurses, respiratory therapists who are also sleep educators, and social workers. We work together to create a personalized care plan that’s right for your child.
Some sleep conditions may be related to other physical or emotional health conditions. If your child needs additional care, we connect your family with specialists at Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital that supports your child’s needs.
Refer a patient to a pediatric specialist
Your patients can expect compassionate, personalized care from the moment our specialists connect with them. Our pediatric specialists start by listening to fully understand their needs and develop an individualized care plan. To make a referral, please call 317-415-9590.
Meet our care team
Leyla Akanli, MD
Pediatric sleep medicine
If your child is experiencing a life-threatening emergency, go to the nearest ER or call 911.