Ascension Saint Mary Chicago needs exceptional people like you to join their teams of volunteers.
Volunteer positions are available seven days per week and include daytime and evening hours. Assignments have been created that balance the needs of the hospital and patients with your areas of interest.
You can also volunteer at the West Town Health Market.
Date, time and location
June 2, 2022–October 13, 2022
1 p.m. – 6 p.m., every Thursday
Ascension Saint Mary Chicago
2233 W Division Street, Chicago, IL 60622
On the southeast corner of Division Street and Oakley Boulevard
In the event of rain
Nazareth Family Center Gymnasium
1127 N. Oakley Ave. (just south of the outdoor market area on Haddon)
The Urban Canopy
Willow Ridge Organic Farm
Puerto Rican Cultural Center
Co One Family Farms Co.
Mr. Kites Shop
Would you like to help with greeting, setup, shutdown or assisting farmers and vendors? Email our program manager, Clarence Howard or call 312-770-2391 to get started.
Why volunteer at Ascension Saint Mary Chicago?
Many people volunteer because they enjoy caring for and helping others. They are interested in healthcare, or are looking for ways to give back to the community.
- Students and those interested in a new career can gain exposure to various parts of healthcare before committing to a college major or career path
- Older adults find volunteering is a great way to stay active and know they are making a meaningful contribution to other people's lives
Minimum age is 18 years old at time of application.
- Attend a volunteer orientation
- Once accepted, submit information for a criminal background check and orientation paperwork
- Complete the following health requirements:
- Tuberculosis test and annual flu vaccine; may be completed at our Associate Health dept. (no charge to you)
- Lab test to verify for immunity to mumps, rubella, rubeola and varicella; or acceptable proof of vaccinations (must receive health clearance to begin)
- Receive your uniform (deposit is required)
- Receive your volunteer assignment and get started
- Complete onsite training in assigned department upon beginning your assignment (mandatory training sessions will also be scheduled annually for all volunteers).
Typically, you will begin your specific assignment the week after you complete orientation, provided that you've successfully completed all other requirements.
- Approved volunteer smock must be worn at all times
- Hair should be neat and clean
- Makeup and jewelry should be worn in moderation
- Facial or tongue piercing is not permitted
- Name badge must be worn at all times
- Jeans, halter tops, t-shirts, stretch pants, leggings, and open-toed shoes are prohibited
- Specific departments may have further guidelines based on nature of the work
Volunteers must be able and willing to dedicate a minimum of 100 hours.
If you are accepted as a volunteer, you will be asked to:
- Complete new volunteer orientation and additional on-the-job training
- Adhere to Ascension Saint Mary Chicago’s incoming volunteer medical and background pre-screening requirements
- Adhere to Ascension Illinois’ core values and mission and behaviors
- Adhere to Ascension Saint Mary Chicago’s policies
- Adhere to Volunteer Service department policies
- Opportunity to give back to your community
- A meal is provided with more than four hours of daily volunteer service
- Exposure to healthcare career opportunities
- Opportunities to meet various healthcare professionals
- Potential mentorship opportunities
- Rewarding personal experience
- Annual recognition at volunteer luncheon