Support Groups and Classes
Classes & Support Groups for Better Living
Ascension Sacred Heart offers a wellness program that focuses on a supervised fitness program as well as education on diet and lifestyle changes. Clients need a physician's referral to get in. Call 850-416-6152 for more details.
Surgical Weight Loss Support Group
Our Bariatric Support Group was established to help patients talk about some of the issues you might face as you lose weight. Some of these issues are dietary, others are social, and some are cosmetic (i.e. loose skin). These meetings provide a forum for patients to meet and discuss solutions with other patients who may have gained insight through personal experience. The support group is an important part of your recovery process. Studies show that patients who actively participate in a support group and attend their follow-up appointments have better outcomes than those who do not. Support Groups take place from 5-6 p.m. each month. For more information, please call 850-416-7546 or visit sacredheartsurgicalweightloss.com.
Ascension Sacred Heart Pensacola offers one-on-one consultations by appointment to help smokers develop a plan for quitting, based on their individual level of addiction and their habits. This service also provides telephone follow-up. To make an appointment or for more information, call 850-416-7764.
Classes & Support Groups for Cancer
Cancer Support Groups
Ascesion Sacred Heart Cancer Center provides emotional support and education for cancer patients and their families through a variety of support groups. For more information, visit the Ascension Cancer Center Support Groups website or call our Cancer Support Services office at 850-416-2679.
Prostate Cancer Self Help Group
This group sponsored by the American Cancer Society is designed to educate and support men facing prostate cancer. Meets the first Saturday of the month at the Cancer Center Conference Room C, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Call 850-438-4491.
Classes on Cardiac Health and Stroke Support
Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
Ascension Sacred Heart Pensacola has a medically supervised program which provides individualized exercise and education for heart patients as well as those who are at high risk for heart disease. Physician referral required. Call 850-416-6150. This class is offered by Ascnsion Sacred Heart in Pensacola .
Stroke Support Group - Ascension Sacred Heart Pensacola
An informational support group called Surviving After Stroke meeting on the third Thursday of the month from 12-2 p.m. in the Greenhut Auditorium. This group, designed for stroke survivors and caretakers, meets from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. It is free of charge and registration is not required. For more information, send an email to email@example.com or call 850-416-4846.
Classes & Support Groups for Childbirth, Parenting, & Family
This class is open to youth from ages 11-15 for $40 (lunch is not provided). All participants receive an American Heart Association Family & Friends CPR Card, plus an Ascension Sacred Heart Pensacola Babysitting Certificate. Classes are held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 5051 Carpenter’s Creek Drive in Pensacola at our Population Health Building. Pre-registration is required. To register and hear our list of class dates, call 850-416-7262. Course provided by Ascension Sacred Heart Education.
Classes & Support Groups for Seniors
Long-Term Care and Medicare Information Seminars
Join Senior Spirit at Ascension Sacred Heart's Financial Matters free seminars to learn more about social security benefits, Medicare, and long-term care planning. For more information, contact Ascension Sacred Heart Senior Services at 850-416-6547.
Classes & Support Groups for Quitting Smoking
The TOBACCO CESSATION program consists of:
- Quit Smoking Now, a six week program with a Certified QSN Cessation Clinician.
- One-on-one counseling sessions with a Certified Tobacco Cessation Clinician.
- Proactive telephone counseling to assist you in remaining tobacco-free.
- Pharmacotherapy recommendations based on your medical history, tobacco questionaire and person preference.
- Social support as part of your treatment and assist you in securing social support in your daily life.
Smoking Cessation referrals:
- Physician and Health Care Providers: Contact 850-416-7764 or by fax to 850-416-7246
- Self-Referrals: To initiate the referral process or to obtain more program information, call us at 850-416-7764 or call toll free at 1-888-461-6653
- Questions? Comments? Click here to send an email to the Tobacco Cessation program coordinator.
Classes & Support Groups for Diabetes and Prevention
Classes to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes - Diabetes Prevention Program
The diabetes prevention program is a year-long lifestyle change program for people at risk for developing type 2 diabetes. Classes are offered in a supportive atmosphere for individuals diagnosed with Prediabetes. Participants can learn how to set goals, track food and activity, and solve problems in order to live a long and productive life.Call: 850-416-7261 or e-mail us at Kristi.Abrahamson@ascension.org to register for Diabetes Prevention classes.
Classes for Diabetes:
Ascension Sacred Heart's Diabetes Education Program offers individual and group instruction to help patients gain knowledge to control their disease, avoid complications and teach or enhance skills for a healthier life. Our Diabetes Care and Education Specialists (DCES) include registered nurses and registered dietitians. For more information or to register for a class, please call 850-416-7261.
Our classes include:
- Living Well with Diabetes
Course for adults with diabetes and their family members. Emphasizes the development of self-management skills. Class discussion includes meal planning, physical activity, self-blood glucose monitoring, recognizing and preventing complications, medication review, stress and coping skills. Please complete our Patient Questionnaire form here. Bring this form to your appointment or e-mail to Diabetesfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- Diabetes and Pregnancy
A class offered weekly for women with Type 2 diabetes or gestational diabetes. Individual counseling is also offered for pregnant women with Type 1 diabetes. Please complete our Patient Questionnaire form here. Bring this form to your appointment or e-mail to Kristi.Abrahamson@ascension.org or call 850-416-7261.
- Skills training on equipment use and its safe disposal
- An understanding of insulin's and their action
- Hypoglycemia: signs, symptoms and treatment
- Comprehensive training to learn the skills needed to successfully use an insulin pump (hands on training)
- Carbohydrate counting is an important component in achieving good control on a pump. A registered dietitian is available for this type of education.
- Discussion of benefits of pump and insulin pump limitations.
- Discussion of types of insulin pumps and infusion sets available.
- Hands-on time learning about how the insulin pumps work.
Continuous Glucose Monitor application and training
- Professional: continuous glucose monitor is applied by a Diabetes Care and Education Specialists (DCES). The monitor is worn for 6 days. The monitor provides glucose readings every 5 minutes. The glucose monitor provides important information on treatment decision to help improve glucose control.
- Personal: education provides comprehensive training on the use of personal glucose monitor. Includes hands on training and application.
Individual Nutrition Counseling
Medical Nutrition Therapy is provided in the following areas:
- Diabetes (Please complete our Patient Questionnaire form here. Bring this form to your appointment or e-mail to Kristi.Abrahamson@ascension.org )
- Heart Disease
- High Blood Pressure
- Digestive Disorders
- Elevated Blood Cholesterol and Triglycerides
- Kidney Disease
- Weight Management
Ascension Sacred Heart Diabetes and Nutrition Education offers a variety of services to help you make important lifestyle changes and learn the skills necessary to stay healthy. Our certified diabetes educators, nurses and registered dietitians offer care for adults with pre-diabetes symptoms, type 1 and 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes, and other endocrine disorders. Learn more