Ascension Sacred Heart Diabetes and Nutrition Education
What type of appointment would you like to book?
Helping you manage your diabetes
Our certified diabetes educators, nurses and registered dietitians at Ascension Sacred Heart are here to help. We offer care for adults with pre-diabetes symptoms, type 1 and 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes, and other endocrine disorders. By working with your primary care doctor and endocrinology specialist, we deliver personalized care that’s right for you.
Ascension Sacred Heart Diabetes and Nutrition Education offers a variety of services to help you make important lifestyle changes and learn the skills necessary to stay healthy, including:
- How to use diabetes and glucose monitoring devices and apps
- Understanding your body’s cues for insulin, diabetes medications and healthy food choices
- Following an effective meal plan and activity routine
- Understanding how diabetes affects stress levels and mood changes
Diabetes education classes
- Diabetes: Balancing Act - This weekly class is for adults with diabetes and their family members. Class focuses on the development of self-management skills. Discussions include meal planning, physical activity, blood glucose monitoring, recognizing and preventing complications, medication review, stress and coping skills.
- Diabetes and Pregnancy- This weekly class is for women with gestational diabetes, and pregnant women with type 2 diabetes. Individual counseling is available for pregnant women with type 1 diabetes.
Personalized nutrition counseling
We also offer one-on-one nutrition counseling. Your diabetes care program is personalized for your type of diabetes, symptoms and diabetes-related conditions, such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and changes to your vision.
- Insulin education and other injectables
- Glucose monitoring application and training
- Pre-pump training
- Consultation for comprehensive diabetes self-management and nutrition
- Consultation for type 1 diabetes
- Education on carbohydrate counting
Individual medical nutrition therapy for:
- Digestive disorders
- Food allergies
- Heart disease, congestive heart failure, high cholesterol and triglycerides
- High blood pressure
- Kidney disease
- Weight management
Diabetes care close to home
Diabetes is a condition that can affect other parts of your health. At Ascension Sacred Heart, we have a network of doctors working with our diabetes care teams to deliver specialty care for heart disease, kidney failure, nerve pain, eyesight changes, and hard-to-heal foot and skin ulcers.
Ascension Sacred Heart offers diabetes care services near you. If you or a family member has a family history of diabetes, talk to your primary doctor about how to prevent diabetes or find an endocrinologist near you.
If you are experiencing a diabetes-related medical emergency, go to the nearest ER and call 9-1-1.