Ascension SE Wisconsin Hospital - St. Joseph Campus
What type of appointment would you like to book?
Whether you are visiting us for a lab test, imaging exam, diagnostic test, outpatient procedure, or surgery, we want to provide you with the highest level of quality care and clinical excellence, all while keeping in mind your personal needs.
Preparing for Your Lab, Radiology or Diagnostic Test
For most lab tests, imaging exams, and diagnostic tests, you will be given pre-arrival information by the person who scheduled your test or by our pre-registration associates when they call you to pre-register. You will receive instructions about what, if anything, you need to do in advance of your test or exam regarding diet, beverages, medication, or other preparations. You will also be told where to park and how to find the department you need.
For some services, such as mammography, you may be instructed to report directly to that department. For others, you will be instructed where and when to check in. Your information will be confirmed upon arrival, and you will be asked for photo identification, any co-pays, and your insurance card, if applicable. You will be asked to complete and/or receive any necessary paperwork.
Before you leave, you will be given information about any expected recovery time and follow-up instructions. You may also leave with a prescription, which may be filled at any of our Ascension Wisconsin Pharmacies or the pharmacy of your choice.
Preparing for an Outpatient Procedure
Your doctor may schedule you for a procedure through outpatient/same day surgery. Before your procedure date, you may need some pre-admission tests that will be scheduled by the doctor doing your procedure. You will be given specific instructions about any dietary restrictions, medications or other things to do before your procedure. You may also receive a call from the department to gather any other information your procedural team might need.
Our Patient Registration Department will call to pre-register you. You will be given instructions about where and when to check in for same-day surgery.
Free parking is available at St. Joseph. Valet parking is available at for only $1 at our main entrance (Chambers and 50th Streets) Monday through Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
When you check in, bring a photo ID, your insurance card, and a check or credit card to cover any co-pays, deductibles, or co-insurance. If you need inhalers, your CPAP machine, glasses, canes, walkers, or crutches, bring these with you, too. Also, follow your doctor’s instructions about bringing any medications from home.
After your procedure, you may go to the recovery room, where you will be monitored for discharge. Visitors may not be allowed in the recovery room, but when you are awake and ready, you will be taken to a private room where you can see visitors until discharge.
Before you leave, you will be given instructions about your care at home and any prescriptions your doctor may have written for you. Because of the effects of medication and anesthesia, you may not drive yourself home after your procedure, so you will need to arrange transportation.
Things to Remember
- Your insurance company must pre-certify your surgery, so carefully follow the instructions on your insurance card.
- Depending upon your insurance plan, you may be asked to pay your deductible, co-pay, or co-insurance on or before the day of your surgery.
- Do not wear make-up, perfume, nail polish, lotions, or powder.
- Do not wear jewelry, including wedding rings and/or body piercings.
- Do not bring any valuables with you.
- You will be asked to remove dentures, glasses, contacts, hearing aids, and wigs before most procedures – they will be returned to you after recovery.
- If you have an Advance Directive (Living Will or Power of Attorney for Healthcare), please bring a copy to be placed in your chart. If you do not have one, visit our Advance Directive web page.
- If you need inhalers, your CPAP machine, canes, walkers, crutches, or other assistive devices, please bring them with you.
- You may leave with a prescription, which may be filled at any of our Ascension Wisconsin Pharmacies or the pharmacy of your choice.