Cancer is personal, so is the way we care for you
A cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming. With Ascension Saint Thomas, you’re not alone. Upon your diagnosis, you’ll meet with your multidisciplinary cancer care team, including a care navigator. We’ll help you personalize a care plan just for you, with a goal of getting you back to home, family and your daily life.
At Ascension Saint Thomas in Middle Tennessee, your doctors, nurses and specialty care team are part of a national team of experienced cancer doctors, sharing best practices and the latest in cancer care knowledge and research – bringing the best of oncology to you, close to home.
When you’re going through cancer care, we’re by your side
Every appointment with our experienced and compassionate oncology specialists starts with a conversation. You’ll have face-to-face visits with your doctor, and you’ll have an entire care team, dedicated to your care – connecting the dots for you. Your doctor will take the time to answer all your questions — big and small. By getting to know you and working together, you get a care plan that is customized to your needs. And with a plan, comes hope. Our goal is to help you recover faster so you can get back to life.
Your cancer care team is beside you from diagnosis through recovery. As your care needs change, we are ready to support you. Your care team may include specialists in medical oncology, radiation oncology, surgical oncology and cancer pathology. Together, our specialized nurses, dietitians, rehabilitation therapists, social workers and supportive care team work with you to deliver a comprehensive care plan that's right for you. We also offer genetic screening, testing and counseling, along with Ascension at Home services and palliative care.
Stay connected with your personal cancer care navigator
Along the way, your care may require imaging, lab tests, pharmacy support or other specialists — you do not need to navigate your care alone. Upon your cancer diagnosis, or when you come to us during your cancer care, you’re paired with a cancer care navigator. Your care navigator will help you schedule appointments, connect with other services you need, and answer your questions. No question is too small — when you have a concern or feel unsure, don’t hesitate to talk with your care team and ask your questions.
Multidisciplinary oncology care team
From diagnostic testing to advanced cancer treatments, surgical care, and rehabilitation — all the care you need is close to home for many types of cancer. Our oncology team is nationally recognized:
- We are part of the Commission on Cancer Accredited Integrated Network Cancer Program, uniting the cancer programs of Ascension Saint Thomas Hospital Midtown, Ascension Saint Thomas Rutherford, and Ascension Saint Thomas Hospital West.
- Ascension Saint Thomas Breast Centers have accreditation from the American College of Surgeons: National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC). Ascension Saint Thomas is also designated as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by American College of Radiology.
- Our care team diagnoses and treats more than 1,000 breast cancer patients annually. The thoracic oncology program is recognized as a Screening Center of Excellence and Care Continuum Center of Excellence by the GO2 Foundation for Lung Cancer.
Ascension Saint Thomas Cancer Care delivers comprehensive lung care. Surgeons and pulmonary medicine doctors deliver advanced lung cancer treatment, targeted medication therapy, minimally invasive surgery and advanced radiation treatment and rehabilitation for chest cancers: to include non-small cell lung cancer, esophageal cancer, mesotheliomas, thymomas and benign lung nodules.
At Ascension Saint Thomas, you get an experienced team of breast cancer specialists and surgeons who start by getting to know you as a person and work with you on a personalized care plan. Your multidisciplinary care team offers breast-conserving surgery options, reconstruction, and targeted therapies to help stop cancer cells from growing.
Colorectal and gastrointestinal (GI) cancer
When you choose Ascension Saint Thomas, your specialists will diagnose and treat cancers of the colon and gastrointestinal tract, including hepatobiliary cancers affecting the liver, gallbladder and bile ducts.
Brain and spine cancer
At Ascension Saint Thomas, we treat many different types of brain and spinal tumors. Our experienced neurosurgeons specialize in treating brain cancer and spine cancer using advanced surgical techniques to help preserve healthy tissue. Ascension Saint Thomas’ highly specialized UNITY System is a neurosurgical center for the treatment of brain tumors and other brain disorders.
From diagnosis through recovery — medical oncologists provide comprehensive care for blood cancers such as leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma and other blood disorders.
Your women’s health care team takes a compassionate and comprehensive approach to treating gynecological cancers such as uterine cancer, vaginal cancer, cervical cancer and ovarian cancer. Gynecologic oncologists at Ascension Saint Thomas offer minimally invasive treatment options and support services personalized for women.
Prostate and other urologic cancers
From screenings and diagnosing prostate cancer through treatment and recovery — our team is here to provide the care that's right for you. Urology and kidney health cancer specialists at Ascension Saint Thomas also provide advanced care for urologic cancers – bladder, kidney, and urethral cancer.FIND OUT MORE - PROSTATE CANCER FIND OUT MORE - BLADDER CANCER
Get a second opinion on your cancer diagnosis or care plan
When you are facing a new cancer diagnosis or are deciding on a surgical or therapeutic treatment plan, there’s a lot to think about. Get the confidence and peace of mind that your doctor and care plan are right for you. It's easy to get a second opinion at Ascension Saint Thomas. We can review your medical records and healthcare history to answer your questions and discuss options. Talk with one of our doctors about a personalized care plan.
Before your appointment, check with your insurance company to find out if a second opinion is covered. We can request your medical records on your behalf, so that they can be shared with your care team before your arrival.
Benefits of our cancer care approach
When you come to cancer centers and clinics at Ascension Saint Thomas, oncologists and multidisciplinary care teams deliver comprehensive, innovative and personalized oncology care for the whole you, including your emotional health.
- Compassionate medical oncology: Your cancer specialists and care teams work together to deliver customized medication therapies (chemotherapy and other medications) to help target cancer cells that grow and divide quickly.
- Multidisciplinary care teams are dedicated to your care: Your care team includes a care navigator and cancer specialists. And your specialists are part of a national team, sharing best practices to help find the best possible way to treat your type of cancer – from simple to complex and rare cancers.
- Experienced surgical oncologists and care teams: Advanced surgical techniques, including minimally invasive robotic surgery, are used to remove as much cancer as possible while saving healthy tissue.
- Precision radiation therapy: We deliver high-tech radiation therapy and targeted treatment options for many types of cancer, delivered by highly trained radiation oncology specialists.
- Clinical trials: If you want to learn more about other possible cancer care options, talk to your doctor. You may want to ask whether cancer clinical trials are the right option for you.
- Genetic cancer screening, testing and counseling: Genetic tests can help you and your doctor better understand your risk for certain types of cancer. Ask your doctor about genetic testing and counseling to better understand your risk for developing cancer. If you have been diagnosed with cancer, your doctor may recommend genetic pathology tests to help identify genetic changes in cancer cells and tumor growth.
- Support programs and resources: Your cancer care team provides support from registered dietitians, nurse navigators and social workers. And, at Ascension Saint Thomas sites of care, our healing gardens and chapels are always open to patients and your loved ones. We also offer support groups and cancer wellness activities for the whole you.