Advanced care for bladder and kidney cancer
When you choose cancer centers and urology clinics at Ascension Saint Thomas Cancer Care in Nashville, Tennessee, you get experienced cancer doctors who are part of a national team. Our care teams share best practices and the latest in prostate, bladder, kidney and urethral cancer treatment and research – bringing advanced cancer care to you. Every appointment with your oncologist or urology care team starts with a compassionate conversation. Your doctor answers your questions about bladder and kidney cancer, and gets to know you. So, you get a personalized cancer care plan. And with a plan, comes hope. We will help you navigate your care and will be by your side every step of the way, connecting the dots. Our goal is to help you get back to home, family, life and self sooner.
Urologic cancer care personalized for you
Urologists and oncologists at Ascension Saint Thomas deliver compassionate, personalized care for all types of urologic cancers, including:
- Prostate cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney (renal) cancer
- Ureteral cancer
- Urethral cancer
Your care may include advanced urologic procedures, kidney function tests, surgery, chemotherapy, immunotherapy or radiation therapy from a multidisciplinary team of specialists, including urologists, nephrologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, cancer pathologists, and other cancer specialists.
Treatment for urologic cancer with enhanced recovery options
If your kidney or bladder cancer care plan includes surgery, surgeons at Ascension Saint Thomas use the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques and urologic robotic surgery, which may help shorten your recovery, including:
- Cryotherapy (freezing cancer cells)
- Cystoscopy for early-stage bladder cancer removal
- Laparoscopic partial nephrectomy (kidney surgery)
- Laser ablation therapy for bladder cancer
- Transurethral resection of bladder tumor
Cancer in the prostate is also a urologic cancer. Specialists at Ascension Saint Thomas deliver comprehensive care for prostate cancer, including metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC). We provide high-resolution MR prostate exams and MRI-guided biopsy to diagnose your condition. Talk with your doctor about advanced prostate cancer care options.
Your care team may also refer to enhanced recovery pathways as part of your surgical care plan. They are an important part of our cancer treatment programs. Each recovery path is personalized for different types of cancer treatments to help speed up your recovery after surgery. Your care team uses these protocols to help you prepare for what to expect before, during and after surgery.
If you want to learn more about other possible options, talk to your doctor. You may want to ask whether cancer clinical trials are the right option for your care.
Benefits of our approach to urologic cancer care
Cancer specialists who know you and your condition review your treatment and progress. They work together to customize your overall care plan to support your physical well-being and mental and emotional health. Ascension Saint Thomas Cancer Care provides comprehensive cancer care, including:
- Urologic oncology surgery – Surgeons specialize in endoscopic and robotic-assisted technology to make smaller, more precise incisions to remove tumors.
- Medical oncology – Medical oncologists work with your surgeon to deliver advanced care (chemotherapy and targeted immunotherapy) to help stop cancer from spreading.
- Radiation oncology – Advanced radiation therapy is used to target and destroy cancer cells while avoiding the surrounding healthy tissue.
- Clinical trials – If you want to learn more about other cancer care options, talk to your doctor. You may want to ask whether cancer clinical trials are the right option for you.
- Cancer Genetics – If you are high-risk or have a family history of cancer, we deliver genetic screening, testing and counseling to help you and your doctor better understand your risk for developing cancer.
- Support programs and resources – Your cancer care team provides support, from nutrition education and counseling to cancer support groups and spiritual care. And, at Ascension Saint Thomas sites of care, our healing gardens and chapels are always open to patients and your loved ones. We provide supportive care and activities for the whole you.
Team approach helps navigate tests and support services
Along the way, your care may require imaging, lab tests, pharmacy support, nutrition counseling or other specialists. You do not have to navigate your care alone. Your care team will help you schedule appointments, connect with other services and support groups, and answer your questions. From your first consultation and throughout your ongoing care, you and your doctor will stay connected through in-person and virtual visits.
Screenings to help detect prostate cancer early
For men, getting regular PSA screening may help find cancer early, when it is most treatable. Early detection may allow for more options for treatment too. Talk with your doctor about screenings that are right for you based on your age, family history, smoking history and other risk factors. If you have been previously diagnosed with cancer or are in remission, screenings may be an ongoing part of your cancer care. Talk with your doctor about the right timing for ongoing screenings. We can help you find a doctor.
Get a second opinion on your cancer diagnosis or care plan
Get the confidence and peace of mind that your doctor and care plan are right for you. It's easy to get a second opinion at Ascension Saint Thomas. We can review your medical records and healthcare history to answer your questions and discuss options. Talk with one of our doctors about a personalized care plan.
When you are facing a new diagnosis or are deciding on a surgical or therapeutic treatment plan, there’s a lot to think about. Our cancer specialists can provide a second opinion, based on our experience and as part of an integrated national team.
Before your appointment, check with your insurance company to find out if a second opinion is covered. We can request your medical records on your behalf, so that they can be shared with your care team before your arrival.
Financial assistance and support is available
We can connect you with resources and programs that may be able to help you and your family with options for financial assistance. Our financial counseling team is here to listen to your concerns and work with you to help find options that meet your needs.