Pediatric cardiology at Studer Family Children’s Hospital
Pediatric cardiologists at Studer Family Children’s Hospital at Ascension Sacred Heart have the expertise to deliver advanced specialty care — even for the tiniest patients. From your first visit, your child’s doctor and care team starts by listening to you. Tell us your concerns and ask us your questions — big and small. By getting to know your child and your family, we deliver heart care that’s right for your child, starting with a personalized care plan.
Diagnosing and treating pediatric heart conditions
Pediatric cardiologists care for pediatric heart conditions, including:
- Anomalous pulmonary venous return
- Aortic coarctation (narrowing of the aorta)
- Arrhythmia (heart rhythm disorder)
- Atrial septal defect (ASD), known as a hole in the heart
- Atrioventricular canal defect
- Cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease)
- Complete heart block (when the electrical signal in the heart is blocked)
- Congenital heart disease
- Ebstein’s anomaly (abnormal tricuspid valve)
- Heart failure
- Heart murmur
- Heart tumors
- Kawasaki disease (inflammation in blood vessels)
- Marfan syndrome (disorder that affects tissues in the body)
- Mitral valve defect
- Myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle)
- Palpitations (irregular heart beat)
- Patent ductus arteriosus (opening between two major blood vessels leading from the heart)
- Pericarditis (swelling of the saclike tissue surrounding the heart)
- Pulmonary atresia (malformation of the pulmonary artery)
- Single ventricle defects
- Stenosis (aortic, mitral and pulmonary)
- Tetralogy of Fallot (rare combination of four heart defects)
- Transportation of the great arteries
- Truncus arteriosus
- Ventricular septal defect (VSD)
- Other heart conditions and disease
Your child’s care is coordinated with their referring doctor and other care team members. And because each child has unique needs, your child’s care plan is personalized for your child and family.
For some congenital and acquired heart conditions, surgery may be recommended as part of your child’s care plan. Surgery is typically performed at UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital Congenital Heart Center in Gainesville, Florida. Here, your child will receive comprehensive surgical care from a team that includes their pediatric cardiologist.
Advanced care for congenital heart conditions
If you are an expecting parent and have been told your baby may have a heart condition, you’re in the right place with doctors and care teams who work together to deliver care for you and your baby. Pediatric cardiologists at Studer Family Children’s Hospital work closely with maternal-fetal medicine (MFM) specialists at Ascension Sacred Heart to diagnose and monitor fetal heart conditions. Before your baby is born, your team of doctors create a care plan for your baby.
If surgery is recommended, we connect your family to a heart center, such as UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital Congenital Heart Center, that can provide the heart care that’s right for your baby and family. At UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital Congenital Heart Center, your child will have advanced cardiac care from an integrated team that includes your cardiologist who you know and trust.
If your child is experiencing a life-threatening emergency, go to the nearest ER or call 911.