Ascension Saint Joseph - Elgin
- Hospital/Medical Center
What type of appointment would you like to book?
Ascension Illinois Financial Assistance
As part of our faith-based mission, Ascension Illinois is dedicated to helping the most vulnerable and treating everyone with compassion, dignity and respect. Many people who need assistance don't realize that they qualify. That's why we encourage you to call us or apply for financial assistance if you need help. We're here for you.
For self-pay patients, financial assistance ranging from 85% to 100% discounts is available based on the latest Federal Poverty Guidelines. For Illinois residents with a family gross income of less than or up to 250% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, a 100% discount is available on any amounts remaining after insurance payments. The amount of financial assistance will be determined once all third-party payment amounts have been identified.
Complete the financial assistance application even if you are unsure that you qualify. To talk to a customer service agent, call 888-693-2252.
How to apply — self-pay and insured patients
- Download and complete the application form, letter of support and cover letter.
- Gather copies of the supporting documents listed on the application. This may include government ID, pay stubs and tax information.
- Mail the application and documentation to the Ascension Illinois address on the form.
- If you need help, call 888-693-2252 to talk to a customer service agent or contact the hospital directly.
- We will respond, in writing, within a reasonable time period. In the meantime, payment of your bill will be suspended.
Financial assistance applies only to hospital charges and is not available for any doctor or other provider bills you might receive separately. However, some of these providers do participate in the financial assistance program.
- Self-pay discount — For patients who do not qualify for our main financial assistance program, we provide an automatic uninsured self-pay discount. This discount is already reflected in your bill and does not require an application. Not available for those who receive a pre-negotiated discount.
- Catastrophic discount — Limits your out-of-pocket costs over a 12-month period for medically necessary services when these costs exceed 25% of your family's gross income. This discount will be considered when you apply for financial assistance.
- Payment plans — Payment arrangements are available for both self-pay and insured patients.
- MDSave — Find affordable, transparent upfront pricing for imaging procedures, lab tests and a variety of other services.
You may also be eligible for public programs such as Medicaid or Medicare. Applying for these programs may be required before requesting financial assistance.
Additional forms and policies
Forms and policies are available in several languages:
Financial assistance application
Financial assistance policy
Plain language summary of the financial assistance policy
List of providers covered and not covered under the financial assistance policy