Patient Information | Ascension
Ascension Saint Joseph - Chicago

Ascension Saint Joseph - Chicago

  • Hospital/Medical Center
  • Weight-loss and bariatric surgery
  • Cardiology
  • Mental Health
  • Neurology

Ascension Illinois offers a safe and simple way to schedule appointments, access your medical information and test results, pay your bill and more.

Patient information

Patient portal

How to request proxy access

If you need to access a family member's records, you can request proxy access by calling 630-801-5744 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

How to request your medical records

Your personal health information is a valuable resource to you, your family, and your doctor when providing you care. Ascension Illinois delivers complete and dependable health information at our sites of care. We retain health information according to state and federal laws and make it available to you at your request.


Online access
Patients over the age of 18, or a legal guardian, can easily view and download information from their electronic health record at no cost, by creating a patient account online.


Log in

By phone

By mail
 ATTN: Health Information Management
Ascension Saint Joseph - Chicago 
2900 N. Lake Shore Dr.
Chicago, IL 60657

In person
For security reasons, you will be asked to provide a state or federally issued photo ID to pick up your records. Unless arrangements are made in advance, we will not release records to individuals other than the patient or their legally authorized representative.
  • Download the authorization form (English, Polish or Spanish)
  • The authorization form must be completed in full and signed by the patient or the patient's legal representative
  • Bring your authorization form to the Health Information Management Department between the hours of 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday

Fees for copies

There is no fee for medical record requests sent directly to a doctor or healthcare location for continuing care purposes. There are fees associated with obtaining paper or electronic copies of your medical records. Allowable fees are governed by state and federal laws; call your hospital's HIM department for more information.

Frequently asked questions

Who is authorized to sign for release?

  • The patient, if they are 18 years or older
  • State law requires patients age 12 and older to authorize the release of records containing highly confidential information, including behavioral health, substance abuse, pregnancy, HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases
  • A minor who is emancipated, pregnant or has a child
    The parent or legal guardian, if the patient is younger than age 18 (documentation of guardianship required)
  • A guardian, if the patient has been legally deemed incompetent (documentation of guardianship required)
  • Power of Attorney for Healthcare, in the event the patient is unable to sign (documentation of POA required)
  • The next of kin or executor of the estate for medical records of deceased patients (copy of the death certificate and evidence of next of kin or documentation of executorship of the estate required)

How long will it take to receive my medical records?
Requests are typically processed within 48 hours. We will contact you in the event of unforeseen delays or difficulty processing your request.

How will I receive my medical records?
Except when requested by a doctor’s office or in an emergency, records will be mailed to the address specified on your request form.

If you would prefer to make arrangements to pick up your records in person, call your hospital's Health Information Management Department. For security reasons, you will be asked to provide a state or federally issued photo I.D.

How do I request copies of radiology films or images?
To request copies of your radiology films or images on CD (and also copies of reports), call 773-665-8699.

How do I request a birth or death certificate?
Ascension Illinois does not provide copies of birth or death certificates. For information about how to obtain a copy of these certificates, contact your county clerk.