Weight-loss surgery in Chicagoland
- Does my current weight cause any other chronic health conditions?
- Can I commit to documented weight-loss efforts required by my insurance plan?
- Am I willing to re-evaluate my diet and exercise regimen to live a healthier life?
Weight-loss surgery is a deeply personal, life-changing decision. Our doctors and nurses listen to understand you and your health concerns. Then, we work together to create a weight-loss plan that's right for you.
What to expect at a bariatric surgery consultation
Weight-loss management is a step-by-step process. At Ascension Illinois, we help guide and support you through every step of your journey. Our team of surgical weight-loss specialists includes a surgeon, nurse navigator, bariatric dietitian, exercise physiologist, and behavioral health support. We also have an insurance coordinator that explains insurance coverage and pre-approval requirements.
Our care team helps you to understand surgical and non-surgical treatment options and lifestyle changes. We care about your physical and emotional health and are here to help you make a decision that's right for you.
Get started on your weight-loss journey by registering for a seminar.
Types of bariatric surgery
At Ascension Illinois, our bariatric surgeons specialize in the following:
- Duodenal switch
- Gastric bypass
- Sleeve gastrectomy
We offer minimally invasive surgical options that may help shorten your recovery time. Our doctors and weight management care team are committed to helping you achieve your weight-loss goals.
Medically supervised weight-loss programs
Bariatric surgery is not your only option. We offer consultations with doctors who specialize in medically supervised, non-surgical weight loss. Our dietitians work with you to create a personalized nutrition plan with meal ideas. We address your lifestyle, activity level, foods and behaviors that trigger emotional eating.
- Nutritional counselors: Your nutrition counselor is a registered dietitian who works with you to create a meal plan that meets your goals and fits your lifestyle. Your counselor also helps schedule your first consultation with a weight loss doctor.
- Meal replacement programs: We offer several meal replacement programs. These programs are designed to help you adjust to eating and lifestyle changes. Together, we create a personalized meal plan that adjusts as your needs change.
- Weekly classes: Classes are available each week. They are led by weight management specialists, including registered dietitians, behavioral counselors and fitness specialists.
Before and after weight-loss surgery
You will have a network of support before, during and after your weight-loss surgery. During your journey, you'll have follow-up visits with your doctor and care team at a location near you. At Ascension Illinois, we also offer bariatric support groups, exercise and fitness programs that fit your capabilities and nutrition counseling. Your success is important to us. Watch the following video to hear more about our patients' bariatric journey.
Awards and recognitions
Many Ascension Illinois sites of care have been recognized for their high-quality weight loss programs, including:
- Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) Comprehensive Centers
- Ascension Alexian Brothers Medical Center Elk Grove Village — the first center in Illinois to receive this accreditation
- Ascension Saint Joseph Chicago Medical Center
- Ascension Saint Alexis Medical Center
- The Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Distinction® Specialty Care
- Ascension St. Alexius Medical Center Hoffman Estates
- Ascension Alexian Brothers Medical Center Elk Grove Village