Helping improve your heart recovery in Chicagoland
Understanding your heart health after surgery is important to help prevent a heart attack. Care teams at Ascension Illinois deliver a personalized cardiac rehabilitation program that includes inpatient and outpatient care. Many of our cardiac rehabilitation programs are certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR).
Manage your recovery with cardiac rehabilitation
Your health is our priority. Our care teams listen to understand you and your health concerns. Then, we work with you to create a cardiac rehabilitation plan that promotes a safe and quick recovery. Your care team includes doctors, nurses, exercise physiologists, respiratory therapists and dietitians that specialize in strengthening your heart and helping you manage your symptoms. During cardiac rehabilitation, we monitor your heart and discuss medications. We also help you make nutrition and lifestyle changes, providing support to you and your family.
Ask your heart doctor if you are a candidate for cardiac rehabilitation. Your care plan is based on your heart condition or procedure, such as:
- Heart failure
- Heart valve and aortic stenosis
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Open-heart surgery
- Peripheral vascular disease (PVD)
A doctor's referral is required to participate in the program. Medicare Part B and other private health insurance plans provide a covered benefit for participating in general or intensive cardiac rehabilitation.
Advanced testing for heart conditions
Our cardiac rehabilitation teams deliver care for the whole person to help improve your emotional and physical health. Your care team provides heart assessments and other tests to help monitor your progress, including:
- Cardiac computed tomography (CT) scan
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Cardiac stress test
- Carotid artery ultrasound
- Holter heart monitor
Program features and benefits
Cardiac rehabilitation can help speed up your recovery and keep your heart healthy. Our program focuses on:
- Controlling weight and improving cholesterol levels
- Creating healthy lifestyle habits and managing stress
- Increasing self-confidence
- Reducing your symptoms and helping to prevent another cardiac event
- Returning to work and activities of daily living
- Strengthening and conditioning your heart and lungs
- Understanding your medications and how to manage your heart condition
Exercise options after completing the program
Your care doesn’t end after completing your cardiac rehabilitation. We also provide supportive care and help connect you with community fitness programs.