Ascension SE Wisconsin Hospital - Elmbrook Campus
What type of appointment would you like to book?
Understanding how to care for hard-to-heal wounds is important. When your wound isn’t healing as it should, our Ascension care team is here to help. Certified wound, ostomy and continence nurse specialists treat many types of wounds including burns, diabetic foot ulcers, venous leg ulcers, surgical wounds and hard-to-heal-wounds. We work with you to create a care plan that’s right for you.
Wound healing services
Your recovery is our priority. We deliver inpatient and outpatient care. Our care team offers many advanced wound care treatments including, but not limited to, treatment and management of pressure ulcers, acute/chronic wounds, traumatic and draining wounds, surgical incisions, venous, arterial wounds and tubes/fistulas.
Their scope of practice often includes:
- Providing comprehensive wound management, including reducing causative factors, controlling odor, assessing nutritional needs and providing and applying topical therapies
- Educating the patient, the patient’s family and any other support persons on care techniques, wound dressings
- Implementing preventive actions to reduce the incidences of pressure ulcers and vascular ulcers
- Educating the patient, the patient’s family and other support persons on ulcer prevention and treatment
- Compression therapy
- Providing self-care, diet and lifestyle education and support
- Addressing and preventing parastomal/stomal complications
- Assessing stoma site marking so as to decrease long-term complications and encourage pouching system adherence
- Reviewing and modifying pouch system problems
- Identifying contributing factors and suggesting dietary and environmental modifications
- Counseling the patient, the patient’s family and other support persons on hygiene and skin care
- Pre- and post-operative education
- Support and counseling for individuals who undergo surgery for colostomies, ileostomies, or urostomies
- Ostomy site marking, education, appliance management and peristomal skin conditions
- Management and treatment of wounds with vacuum assisted therapy
Work with our wound care team to manage your recovery
We show you how to improve your wounds or ostomy related concerns at home as part of your personalized care plan. Our goal is to help prevent rehospitalization for infection or wound-healing complications and improve your quality of life.