Advanced specialty care for recovery from stroke and other serious injury or illness
When you choose Ascension Via Christi, you’ll benefit from a team approach, bringing together the expertise of many health professionals with advanced rehabilitation training, always remembering that the most important team members are you and your family.
You and your family are connected to specialized rehabilitation care for the following conditions:
- Audiology and balance
- Brain injury
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Cancer rehab, including lymphedema therapy
- Concussion impairment
- Joint replacement
- Loss of limb
- Neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis (MS), Guillain-Barre' syndrome (GBS), and Parkinson's disease
- Orthopedic injuries (back, shoulder, hand, wrist, hip injury)
- Post COVID-19
- Spinal cord dysfunction or injury
- Sports medicine
- Voice impairments (stuttering, vocal cord dysfunction, swallowing disorder, memory)
- Work-related injuries
For more information to schedule a visit, please call the Admissions at (316) 634-3400.
Personalized care for your rehabilitation needs
You will benefit from comprehensive medical management led by doctors with extensive rehabilitation expertise. Medical specialist consultations are available on site as well as diagnostic tests and medical procedures as part of hospital-based rehabilitation units. Our Easy Street rehabilitation area simulates real-world environments, such as the gym, grocery store, restaurants and even getting in and out of a car.
During your stay, you will benefit from:
- One-on-one therapy sessions with individualized treatment plan
- Emphasis on addressing psychosocial as well as physical needs, patient/family education, and discharge planning
- Opportunities for meaningful community re-entry therapy sessions and comprehensive home assessments
- All private rooms and common spaces to relax and connect with guests
We offer the following rehabilitation services as part of our comprehensive care:
- Wound care
- Intensive program for regaining ability to walk
- Vestibular, balance, and dizziness rehabilitation
- Neurologic rehabilitation (for conditions including stroke, spinal cord injury, brain injury, ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), MS, Parkinson’s disease)
- Vision therapy
- Custom splint fabrication
- Neurologic rehabilitation (for conditions including stroke, spinal cord injury, brain injury, ALS, MS, Parkinson’s disease)
- Cognitive rehabilitation
- Dysphagia (swallowing disorders) rehabilitation
- Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing (FEES) test
- Modified barium swallow exam
- VitalStim® therapy and NMES
- Voice disorder therapy
- Communication disorder rehabilitation
Our stroke rehab services are a continuation of the care provided by the region’s Comprehensive Stroke Center at Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital.
Balance problems can have a direct impact on patients' daily living activities and overall health. Comprehensive balance testing is available from 8 a.m-5 p.m. through the Audiology team at either of two locations: Ascension Via Christi Rehabilitation Hospital (Monday-Friday) and Ascension Via Christi St. Teresa (Tuesday-Thursday). Patients must have a referral from their physician to participate in the program. To make a referral to either location, call 316-719-3030 or fax it to 316-291-7258.
- neurodiagnostic ABR
A team of supportive rehabilitation specialists
Whether you’re recovering from a stroke, an illness or an injury, we’re here for you. Specialists at Ascension Via Christi Rehabilitation Hospital provide compassionate care for your rehabilitation needs. Our medical director, Katie Sinclair, MD, is credentialed in physical medicine and rehab, and will coordinate your overall treatment program and oversee the efforts of the rehabilitation team caring for your. Our team focuses on improving your emotional and physical health and involves your family or caregiver team for daily support to create a care plan personalized to your specific needs. Your team may include:
- Rehabilitation-trained nurses provide round-the-clock nursing care and can help answer questions you and your family may have.
- Physical therapists will teach you exercises to improve your balance, strength and mobility. They may also help you learn how to use walkers and canes, braces, artificial limbs or other mobility devices.
- Occupational therapists focus on improving your everyday living skills, including bathing, dressing, grooming and eating. They also may provide training to you with equipment that will help you better perform these activities.
- Speech therapists work to improve your ability to communicate, problem-solve and reason, and address any problems with swallowing.
- Case managers will explain the details of your stay and outline any lifestyle changes you may expect. In addition to working with you and your insurance company to certify your ongoing rehabilitation, your case manager will coordinate your discharge needs.
Your rehabilitation care team may also include a dietitian, pharmacist, respiratory therapist and specialists. Your therapy sessions and activities will be posted daily on a schedule board. Your doctor will continue to follow your progress and remain in charge of your medical care.
A Commitment to Quality
Ascension Via Christi Rehabilitation Hospital has earned the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval, an accreditation bestowed on organizations that comply with the highest national standards for safety and quality of care and that are committed to continually improving patient care.
- Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services since 1987
- Stroke Specialty Program since 2010: we are part of the Stroke care continuum with Ascension Via Christi Hospital St. Francis
- Brain Injury Program since 2009