Ascension St. Vincent's Birmingham - Bruno Cancer Center
A department of Ascension St. Vincent's Birmingham
- Cancer Care
What type of appointment would you like to book?
Frequently asked questions - cancer services
What is your cancer center known for?
Your doctor and care team get to know you well, and you’ll receive care for the whole person – from physical health and well-being to mental and emotional health. At Ascension St. Vincent's Cancer Center, we provide innovative drug treatments, the latest surgical technologies and techniques, high-tech radiation facilities and support services. When you choose Ascension St. Vincent's, you get a national team of experienced cancer specialists, sharing best practices and the latest in cancer care knowledge and research.
At Ascension St. Vincent's, we provide many primary and advanced treatments for all types of cancer, including:
- Breast conserving surgery
- Breast reconstruction and reshaping
- Endoscopic procedures for head, neck and GI
- External beam radiation
- Gastrointestinal pill camera
- Hidden Scar™ breast surgery
- Hormone therapy
- Immunotherapy and advanced targeted drug therapy
- Minimally invasive breast biopsy with magseed, fine needle, wire localization
- Mohs dermatologic skin surgery
- Robotic-assisted gynecologic surgery
- Stereotactic radiosurgery and stereotactic radiation therapy
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery
- Y-90 liver embolization
Who is on my cancer care team?
Hearing the word cancer comes with a lot of thoughts and emotions, and we’re ready to support you. You’ll meet with your doctor to discuss your diagnosis and your care options. At Ascension St. Vincent's, your care team may include:
- Oncology specialists (medical, surgery, radiation, pathology and hematology)
- Oncology nurses, dietitians and social workers
- Oncology pharmacist
- Palliative care specialists
- Radiation therapists
- Radiology imaging
- Rehabilitation therapists, including lymphedema therapists
- Surgeons specializing in reconstructive surgery
Together, we will decide on a care plan. And your entire care team will stay connected throughout your care to discuss your treatment and progress.
Who should I call when I have questions?
When you choose Ascension St. Vincent's for your cancer care, you get an entire team dedicated to your care. You may have a lot of concerns and questions. Your doctor, care team and care navigator are ready to listen and answer your questions. Working together, we offer services that help support your treatment plan, including managing pain and other symptoms, medications, appetite changes, sleeplessness, fatigue and mood changes. Your entire care team stays connected throughout your care to discuss your treatment and progress.
Is financial assistance and support available?
We can connect you with resources and programs that may be able to help you and your family with options for financial assistance. Your cancer care navigator can connect you to a financial counselor.
Where do I park?
Ascension St. Vincent's cancer centers offer convenient parking. Valet parking is available at no charge at Ascension St. Vincent’s Birmingham Bruno Cancer Center. For Ascension St. Vincent’s East Cancer Treatment Center, parking is available adjacent to the building, at no cost to you.
My doctor told me about an enhanced recovery program, what is that?
Surgical oncology includes enhanced recovery pathways as part of your care plan. They are an important part of our cancer treatment programs. Each pathway is personalized for different types of cancer treatment to help speed up your recovery after surgery. Your care team helps you prepare for what to expect before, during and after surgery.
Cancer screening: What if I’m concerned about getting cancer?
Getting regular screenings may help find cancer early, when it is most treatable. There may be more options for treatment too. We offer convenient diagnostic imaging tests, including low-dose CT lung scans, mammograms, colonoscopies and many other preventive health screenings.
- In your 20s: Women should begin getting regular Pap exams and clinical breast exams.
- In your 30s: Women should continue getting regular clinical breast exams. They should begin getting HPV tests in addition to Pap exams.
- In your 40s: Women should begin getting regular mammograms, in addition to HPV tests and Pap exams. At age 45, both men and women should start talking with their doctor about colorectal cancer screenings.
- 50 and older: Women should continue getting regular mammograms, colorectal cancer screenings, HPV tests and Pap exams, or as recommended by their doctor. Men should continue getting regular colorectal cancer screenings and start discussing prostate screenings with their provider. Men and women who previously smoked heavily or who have smoked cigarettes within the past 15 years should talk with their doctor about an annual low-dose CT screening for lung cancer. Older individuals should talk with their doctor about other screening tests.
We make staying up to date on routine screenings as convenient as possible with extended hours and locations across Alabama. Ask your doctor about the cancer screenings that are right for you.
Learn more about cancer screening.
Is there insurance coverage for screenings and other cancer services?
Check with your insurance provider, including Medicare, so that you are informed regarding your coverage for screenings, preventive care services and other tests or procedures.
Ascension is committed to helping find assistance for those who do not have insurance sufficient to cover their healthcare costs and to working with our patients in a compassionate and caring manner. We may be able to help you through our financial partnerships and resources. Our representatives are happy to provide you an estimate of your financial responsibility after your insurance company pays their portion. We can also provide you additional information about our self-pay discounts, financial assistance policy and additional payment plan options. For more information, please visit Financial Assistance. Ascension provides healthcare services without regard to race, creed, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.
All registered marks are property of their respective owners. All rights reserved.