You don’t have to travel far to get personalized cancer care and support services. Ascension St. Vincent's Birmingham Bruno Cancer Center provides a healing environment with advanced technologies delivered by a dedicated and experienced multispecialty care team. Your oncologist listens to understand you and your health concerns. Then, our cancer specialists work with you to create a care plan that’s right for you.
Ascension St. Vincent's Birmingham Bruno Cancer Center utilizes a multi-disciplinary team approach, bringing together a wide range of offerings and resources in one location to best support our patients, including physicians, nurses, counselors, hospital and community support program, registered dietitians and administrative staff. Each patient’s care is planned and managed by our comprehensive Ascension St. Vincent's Birmingham Bruno Cancer Center care team. Treatment options are reviewed by a multidisciplinary physician tumor conference, which includes medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, surgeons, specialists, navigators and genetic counselors.
Ascension St. Vincent's Birmingham Bruno Cancer Center is committed to clinical excellence by integrating care coordination, government program services, laboratory and pathology, pastoral care, radiology and surgery. In addition, Ascension St. Vincent's Birmingham Bruno Cancer Center holds the Comprehensive Community Cancer Center designation from the American College of Surgeons.
Ascension St. Vincent's Birmingham Bruno Cancer Center diagnostic and treatment technology includes:
- TrueBeam® Linear Accelerator - latest cancer-fighting technology
- Brachytherapy - an advanced cancer treatment that involves the use of radioactive seeds or sources. The Radioactive seeds or sources are placed in or near the tumor, giving a high radiation dose to the tumor while reducing radiation exposure to surrounding healthy tissues for a wide range of cancers. We offer a wide range of brachytherapy options, including breast, vaginal cylinder, tandem and ovoid, lung, and prostate seed.
- Chemotherapy - the use of anti-cancer drugs designed to slow or stop the growth of rapidly dividing cancer cells in the body.
- SpaceOAR - reduces side effects during radiation therapy for prostate cancer patients by using a soft gel-like material to move rectum away from the high-dose radiation area. During radiation, cancer is targeted from outside of the body or placed inside the prostate as radioactive seeds, killing the cancer cells.
- Calypso® System - provides accurate, precise, real-time tracking to keep radiation focused on the tumor, not surrounding healthy tissue.
- RapidArc® and Gated RapidArc®
- Real-Time Position Management™ - a video-based system that allows for imaging and treatment of lung, breast, and upper abdominal sites.
- Prostate Seed Implantation - a radiotherapy option for patients diagnosed with early-stage prostate cancer. Radioactive seed implants deliver a high dose of radiation to the prostate while simultaneously reducing the amount of radiation to adjacent organs such as the bladder and the rectum.
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery and Stereotactic Body Radiosurgery - non-invasive radiosurgery that refers specifically to the treatment of tumors or other abnormalities in the brain and spine. When radiosurgery technology is used to treat parts of the body outside of the central nervous system, it is called stereotactic body radiosurgery.
- Lung Screening Program - offer a low-dose CT scan to catch the disease in its earliest stages, making the odds of successful lung cancer treatment far greater.
The Ascension St. Vincent's Birmingham Bruno Cancer Center was established through the generous support of Joseph S. and Theresa R. Bruno.