Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy program in Nashville
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a unique medical condition that is typically associated with an abnormal thickening of the heart. In Nashville, Tennessee, cardiologists and heart specialists at Ascension Saint Thomas provide advanced heart care for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Our care team includes experienced cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, heart specialists and technicians
Our Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Program has been recognized as a Center of Excellence by the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. Our clinic is conveniently located in Nashville, Tennessee, inside of Ascension Saint Thomas West Hospital. To schedule an appointment with one of our heart specialists, please call 615-222-4265.
Diagnostic testing for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
Many patients who have this condition do not require treatment but do require periodic monitoring. For patients who require treatment, our cardiologists and care teams work together to create a care plan personalized just for you based upon the condition and severity of symptoms.
Treatment may include:
- Medications to relieve trouble breathing, or chest pain. Medications are also given to control the heart's rhythm.
- Implantation of a cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) to keep the heart beating at a normal rate or to keep it beating in a normal rhythm so that blood flow to the brain and other organs will not be interrupted.
- A mitral valve repair or replacement if it is very diseased or thought to be a significant contributor to symptoms
- An alcohol septal ablation to put a controlled scar in a specific area of the heart to help it pump better.
- Surgery (myomectomy) to remove parts of the heart muscle. This is only done when medications are not working.
How to prepare for your visit
More detailed and personalized preparation instructions will be provided by your care team; however, the items below are recommended for all visits.
- Organize any family medical history of cardiac disease especially sudden cardiac death.
- Bring medical records and results of prior cardiac testing such as echos, MRIs, cardiac catheterizations, or prior genetic testing.
Parking for patients and family is available in the Harding Parking Garage.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment with one of our cardiac specialists, please call 615-222-HCM5 (4265).
The cardiac specialists with Ascension Saint Thomas Heart's Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Clinic diagnose and treat patients who have a unique medical condition that is typically associated with an abnormal thickening of the heart.
Specialties: Complex Cardiac Surgery, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
Specialties: Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy