Ascension Saint Thomas Hospital Midtown
A location of Ascension Saint Thomas Hospital
What type of appointment would you like to book?
Do not eat or drink anything after midnight. This includes food, water, coffee, candy/breath mints, cigarettes, chewing or dipping tobacco and gum. You must also have a responsible person to drive you home upon discharge.
What To Bring the Day of Surgery
For your convenience, please bring a minimum of personal belongings and leave any items/luggage you do bring in the trunk of your car until a permanent room is assigned. This will relieve your family of caring for your belongings while you are in surgery. You should also bring the following:
- A list of all your medications and dosages.
- Your contact lens case and solution and/or eyeglasses case.
- A copy of your living will and/or durable power of attorney (if you’ve not already provided it).
- Any paperwork or x-rays you've been asked to bring.
- If your surgery requires crutches or braces that you currently have, please feel free to bring them.
What Not To Bring
- Jewelry or other items of value.
- Extra personal items like cell phones
- Makeup - Do not wear makeup or nail polish because it must be removed before surgery.
An overnight stay may be necessary for patients whose surgery is scheduled at or before 9 a.m. and for those who live out of town. Several other hotels are located near Ascension Saint Thomas Hospital Midtown. We have listed a few of these hotels under the "Hotel Accommodations" link. Some may offer a discounted rate. If you have questions about overnight accommodations, call Ascension Saint Thomas Hospital Midtown Patient Experience at 615-284-4438.
Ascension Saint Thomas Hospital Midtown accepts most major insurance plans. Where appropriate, the hospital will bill the insurance company as a courtesy to the patient. However, the patient is responsible for all charges incurred. If your insurance plan requires a co-pay or you have not met your deductible, an insurance verifier will contact you concerning your financial obligations.
The Day of Your Surgery
You will be informed of what time to arrive at the hospital for your surgery. When you arrive, please register at the main admissions area on the First Floor of the hospital (20th Avenue entrance). Before your surgery, you will:
- Be asked to sign a consent form and allowed to ask any questions.
- Be given a hospital gown to wear. Underclothes, jewelry, hairpins, hairpieces, glasses, contact lenses and dentures must be removed before going to surgery.
Family Waiting Areas
During your surgery, your family and visitors stay in the appropriate waiting area. Your physician will meet with them here following your procedure. The designated waiting areas are:
- Lithotripsy: 4th Floor of Mid-State Building
- Fourth Floor Surgery: 4th Floor of Mid-State Building
- Seventh Floor Surgery: 7th Floor of Central Building