Ascension St. John Hospital
- Emergency Care
- Hospital/Medical Center
- Primary Care/Clinic
- Specialty Care
What type of appointment would you like to book?
St. John Hospital Spiritual Spiritual Care is a ministry of healing which provides emotional and spiritual support to patients, their families, and hospital staff. The Chaplains work as part of the healing team in conjunction with physicians, nurses, and other caregivers. Spiritual Care may include responding to crises, assisting persons in the resolution of ethical questions regarding patient care, contacting pastors, priests, rabbis, or other religious representatives as requested, and providing ongoing spiritual support. We provide a coordinated service of spiritual care to patients, their families, and the hospital staff. Spiritual care is affirmed as an integral part of the team approach to health care, therefore, we take pride in ministering to the needs of the whole person - body, mind and spirit. Our ministry includes:
- Offering support
- Providing sacraments or rituals
- Conflict resolution
- Contacting your minister
- Assisting with difficult decisions
- Helping obtain information
- Being a spiritual resource in the time of crisis
Meet Our Spiritual Care Team The Spiritual Care team at St. John Hospital consists of interfaith staff chaplains, on-call chaplains, and volunteers that all work together with other hospital associates to foster a caring and supportive presence throughout the hospital. Our staff chaplains are specially trained to provide holistic spiritual care to persons of all religious faiths, including those without any religious affiliation. We are available for Spiritual counseling, crisis intervention, prayer, communion, bereavement counseling, and other functions. We will also contact your Spiritual Faith Leader or family member upon request. Faith Leaders from all denominations are welcome and encouraged to visit with their congregational members. Our spiritual care volunteers represent the Spiritual Care Department. These individuals supplement and complement its ministry of healing by serving within an ecumenical perspective informed by and respectful of a broad variety of religious traditions. Contact Us You can contact the Spiritual Care team by calling 313-343-7850 between the hours of 8am and 9:30pm Monday-Friday, and 8am-4:30pm Saturday, Sunday and Holidays. After the hours just indicated, please contact the hospital operator to reach an on-call chaplain. (Note: patients can also make their request for pastoral care through their nurse). Requests and Referrals Patients and families of all faiths can request a visit with a Chaplain. Any member of the health team can assist with making a referral. People call on chaplains for a number of reasons. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Apprehension about surgery
- Overwhelming illness
- Loneliness and isolation
- Discouragement and despair
- Helplessness and hopelessness
- Loss of meaning and purpose
- Fear and anxiety
- Conflict with others
- Facing change and loss
- Struggling with the meaning of life
- Feeling cut off from God
- Grappling with questions about life and death
- Needing the comfort of prayer
- Decisions regarding a living will and advance directives
- Working through the loss of a loved one
- Facing ethical dilemmas
Our Chapel If you need a quiet, meditative space, or are looking for an opportunity to worship, SJH&MC provides you with this resource as well. Our Chapel is located on the 1st floor and is always open. A prayer book is also available to those who wish to offer their prayers in writing or to request prayers.
Programs and Services
- Mass (Catholic Worship Service). As scheduled Monday-Friday at 11:30am and Every Saturday at 4pm.
- Television. The Chapel is always available for viewing on channel 57 on SJH&MC televisions. Mass and special public services are able to be viewed when they occur, otherwise reflective music can be heard while the chapel is viewed.
- Anointing of the Sick. The Spiritual Care Department can be contacted to make arrangements for this service.
- Communion. This service is available to all Catholic and Non-Catholic Christians as requested.