Becoming a mother is a time filled with many different emotions, challenges and things to learn and do. The care teams at Ascension St. John Hospital are here to help you along your journey through the compassionate, personalized care and support we offer you and your family during this exciting time.
Ascension St. John Hospital has earned the prestigious Baby Friendly designation, which is a joint effort from the World Health Organization and the United Nations Children’s Fund. The designation means we partner with you to bring research-based, innovative care that leads to the best outcomes for you and your baby. New parents receive comprehensive support, education, and care from our team of experts, to help you and your baby bond and be successful with your feeding goals. As part of the designation process, our staff is highly trained in the latest knowledge and skills to assist you. Further, the care is designed to surround you and your baby with support that lasts beyond the hospital stay.
Ascension St. John Hospital offers clinical excellence in birthing services, with a strong focus on safety for you and your baby. Our compassionate, board-certified OB/GYN, pediatric and neonatal doctors, high-risk pregnancy specialists, certified nurse midwives, lactation consultants, a full-service neonatal intensive care unit, 24-hour anesthesia team, and nurses are passionate about caring for women and their babies.
We want this special time to be memorable for you and your family, so we provide ways to even more fully integrate providing care to your mind, body and spirit.
• Ascension St. John Hospital has 30 birthing suites, one birthing suite with a queen size bed for a “home-like” birth experience, 16 private rooms for antepartum and postpartum persons, six OB triage rooms and three operating rooms.
• Care on our unit can be provide by obstetricians, perinatologists, certified nurse midwives, and family practice physicians. We have an on-site OB/GYN clinic as well.
• Ascension St. John Hospital has a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and a Special Care Nursey (located on the same floor), 24-hour on-site anesthesia services and an on-site obstetrician.
• We have the ability to provide interventions to meet your needs, including aromatherapy, movement in labor, water therapy during labor, birthing balls, and position equipment (stools and peanut-shaped balls).
• Ascension St. John Hospital was the first hospital in Detroit to be designated as Baby-Friendly, which means we partner with you to bring research-based, innovative care that leads to the best outcomes for you and your baby.
• Our newly expanded and renovated waiting room is a comfortable location for your friends and family, and an Express Birthing Center elevator gets you from ground floor to 5th floor with no stops in between.
With a wide range of expert medical service provided in a beautiful setting, the Birthing Center at Ascension St. John Hospital is the place where parents and their babies get off to a healthy start.