Ascension Saint Agnes Hospital Rehabilitation Services
What type of appointment would you like to book?
The Road to Independence and Safety
The Driver Rehab Program at Ascension Saint Agnes provides objective driving evaluations for people with disabilities or aging issues. We strive to enhance the quality of life and increase independence through a driving program tailored to meet your individual needs.
Who Could Benefit
- Those individuals returning to driving after an illness or injury, such as stroke, brain injury, amputation or neuromuscular conditions such as MS
- Senior citizens who have a decline in function, including changes in physical abilities, memory and speed of processing
Driving Program Components
- A Pre-driving Screening is a clinical assessment conducted in the Occupational Therapy Department and is used to determine if an individual has the skills needed to be a safe driver.
- An On-Road Evaluation is recommended following successful completion of the Pre-driving Screening and is conducted by a Certified Driver Rehabilitation Specialist. You will be referred to an outside agency in the area to complete the Behind the Wheel Driving portion of the evaluation. This assessment is conducted in a vehicle equipped with a variety of adaptive controls to accommodate drivers with a variety of disabling conditions.
- A Driving Education component is included in all aspects of the Driver Rehab Program including counseling, support, instruction in the use of a variety of adaptive equipment and community resources if return to safe driving may not be possible.
- Qualified Treatment Team
- Licensed Occupational Therapists who have been specifically trained in the area of driving rehabilitation
- A Certified Driver Rehabilitation Specialist for the on-road evaluation
- A Partnership with Driver Wellness and Safety at the Maryland MVA
The Referral Process
In order to participate in the Driver Rehab Program, a physician’s prescription is required. The process may be initiated by the driver, a family member, the MVA or other agencies. The driver must have a valid driver’s license or be eligible for a license with restrictions. This service is not typically covered by Medicare or other insurance agencies
For more information regarding the Driver Rehab Program at Ascension Saint Agnes, please call 667-234-2800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- American Occupational Therapy Association
- Association for Driver Rehabilitation Specialists
- MD MVA Driver Wellness and Safety
- Family Conversations with Older Drivers