Ascension St. Vincent's St. Clair
What type of appointment would you like to book?
The Spiritual Care Department is available to serve the spiritual needs of St. Vincent’s patients and their family members. Clergy, from many faith traditions, and trained lay persons are available to assist you according to your individual needs, regardless of faith or religious tradition.
Spiritual Care Services at St. Vincent’s Health System are an integral part of delivering holistic health care that meets not only the physical but the spiritual and emotional needs of our patients. Clinically trained, with graduate degrees, chaplains are available across our health system to provide support while respecting the unique cultural and religious resources of all persons. If you are a patient, family member or friend of a patient, the hospital chaplain is available to provide for your spiritual and emotional needs or they can assist in contacting a patient’s faith community. In addition, all hospitals have on-call chaplains to support needs 24 hours each day.
The Staff Chaplains are available to receive requests from patients or families of any denomination or faith tradition, and for those with no formal religious affiliation. They provide ministry to patients and their loved ones as they cope with illness, surgery, and rehabilitation. Chaplains are trained to assist patients and family members address the spiritual and emotional feelings that can be associated with the natural vulnerability and uncertainty in a time of illness or suffering. Through compassionate conversations and encounters, spiritual care addresses the needs of the human spirit by facilitating the search for meaning and purpose, empowering persons to find healing considering their current circumstances.
Elements of Spiritual Care
For Spiritual Care needs, associates and clinical staff may reach a chaplain at:
- St. Vincent's St. Clair: A chaplain is on the hospital campus from Monday through Friday from 7 a.m.–3 p.m. A chaplain can be reached at any time by calling (205) 814-2112.
Spiritual Care Services:
A variety of pastoral services are available for patients, family members and hospital staff, including:
- Personal pastoral visits for patients from the pastoral care team.
- Pastoral counseling.
- Liaison for patients to reach a minister of their faith.
- The Chapels are open for prayer and meditation 24 hours a day.
Referral can be made to chaplains for many reasons such as
• Pre-surgery visits
• Spiritual, cultural or religious needs
• Change of status of patient
• Sacramental needs
• At the time of a crisis or imminent death
• Decisions about level of care
• Need for support or conversation
To Contact a Catholic Priest
St. Vincent’s provides support for Catholics who may wish to receive the Sacrament of Holy Communion, Reconciliation or Anointing of the Sick. Staff, patients or family members can reach a priest by contacting the Spiritual Care Department or by paging them.
Prayer and Mass Times
- Daily Intercom Prayer: 8:30 am and 7:00 pm on intercom
- Catholic Mass Schedule:
- St. Vincent’s St. Clair – Wednesday 8:30 am