Ascension Columbia St. Mary's Hospital Ozaukee
What type of appointment would you like to book?
Illness affects people in many ways, including spiritually. At Ascension Columbia St. Mary's, we provide care for the whole person—body, mind, spirit. We believe that your spiritual care is as important as your medical care. Therefore, chaplains are integral members of our health care team.
When you are in the hospital, you may struggle with a variety of emotions. Members of your family may have similar feelings. You and your loved ones do not have to cope with these feelings alone. Chaplains are available to meet your spiritual needs throughout your hospital stay.
A chaplain can be an understanding friend and confidant who can provide a listening ear. He or she can help you find your spiritual strength, whether that strength is from God or from another source. The chaplain will listen to you and your spirit to determine how to best support you and your family.
Our chaplains are trained professionals who recognize and respect all faiths. They can:
- Offer emotional and spiritual support for patients, families, and staff
- Celebrate with patients and families their return to physical and/or spiritual health
- Help facilitate the rites and rituals of patients and families of all faiths
- Connect patients and families with their own spiritual resources or clergy (priest, pastor, rabbi, or other member of the clergy)
- Offer resources for counseling and make referrals when appropriate
Your Spiritual Needs
Patients call upon a hospital chaplain for a variety of needs. We are available to help you when:
- You're going to have surgery or a medical procedure
- You're anxious about outcomes or hear some bad news
- You're feeling sad, afraid, stressed, angry, hopeless, helpless, or lonely
- You're experiencing a loss
- You face a difficult decision
- You need comfort
- You want someone to join you in prayer
- You or your family don't know where to turn
- You're asking God "Why?"
- You want to discuss end-of-life issues
We have many resources to help you.
Holy areas at Ascension Columbia St. Mary's
- Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, Ascension Columbia St. Mary's Heritage Center, Mass 9 am, Sunday
- Meditation Room for prayer and meditation, Ascension Columbia St. Mary's Hospital Milwaukee (1st Floor Atrium)
- Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Chapel, Ascension Columbia St. Mary's Hospital Ozaukee Campus (call for Mass schedule)
For other special Mass times, please call the Spiritual Care Department.
- Help finding your own spiritual/religious leader
- Jewish chaplaincy available on request
Other resources include:
- Holy scriptures
- Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick
- Menorahs and Sabbath candles
- Literature to support your spiritual needs
How to Contact the Spiritual Care Department
A hospital chaplain is available 24 hours a day. Chaplains are in-house from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, and are on call during the evening hours. If you are in need of a chaplain, please ask your nurse to contact Spiritual Care at the appropriate phone number below.
Sacred Heart Rehabilitation Institute
Ascension Columbia St. Mary's Hospital Milwaukee
At Ascension Columbia St. Mary's, spiritual care is part of our Passion for Patient Care.