Personalized, compassionate breast screenings
Ascension Seton delivers advanced digital imaging options, personalized for each patient. We provide breast ultrasounds, mammograms, biopsies and other screenings for women. Getting regular screenings may help find breast cancer early, when it is most treatable. That’s why it is important for women to get a mammogram every year, beginning at age 40. We’re dedicated to delivering care for your breast health that is right for you.
At Ascension Seton, we provide comprehensive breast imaging, including:
- 3D Mammograms (Tomosynthesis): When used as a screening tool, this 3D imaging technology increases the overall detection of breast cancer and reduces the recall rate for screenings – which is a very important issue. Tomosynthesis is an imaging X-ray technique used for the early detection of breast cancer and can help find cancers in dense breast tissue.
- 2D Digital Mammograms: This low dose X-ray exam produces high-quality images. The digital image can be enhanced and magnified for optimal evaluation.
- Breast ultrasound: Uses sound waves to create images of the breast. These ultrasound images are referred to as sonograms. Breast ultrasound is a non-invasive test and can aid in diagnosing benign and malignant disease.
- Bone density tests (DEXA scan): This is performed to evaluate patients to find and treat osteoporosis and to help prevent fractures that can lead to disability.
- 3D biopsy/stereotactic biopsy: This type of biopsy is used to aid in the pathological diagnosis of benign and malignant breast tissue cells. Using mammography technology, a radiologist uses two images of the breast tissue for the testing sample. A stereotactic breast biopsy can help doctors to analyze tissue samples to better understand the health of the breast.
- Ultrasound-guided biopsy: This uses sound waves to help locate a mass and remove a tissue sample for examination under a microscope. This procedure is less invasive than surgical biopsy, leaves little to no scarring and does not involve exposure to ionizing radiation. This type of biopsy aids in the pathological diagnosis of benign and malignant breast tissue cells.
Breast care is more than a mammogram. It’s a personal health experience. The Ascension Seton breast care team focuses on helping you feel comfortable. We are committed to providing Womens Health services that are right for you.
This breast care center is a Pink Ribbon facility recognized for excellence in breast health. The center, located on the first floor of Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin in the West tower, has a relaxing spa-like lounge and private dressing room with cozy robes.
Your doctor's referral is not necessary for a mammogram screening test, but the name and address of your doctor is needed for the report.
If you need other imaging tests, including a bone density scan, please bring a completed doctor's referral form.
About 3D mammography
Ascension Seton Breast Care Center provides 3D mammography (breast tomosynthesis). Unlike a traditional mammogram, 3D mammography uses X-rays to produce more detailed images of the breast by capturing multiple views at different angles. A 3D reconstructed image of the breast is generated and the radiologist and breast specialist can review images one slide at a time, almost like turning pages in a book.
At the Ascension Seton Breast Care Center, we bring together doctors and a care team to deliver care that is right for you: surgeon, radiation oncologist, medical oncologist, radiologist, pathologist, dietitian, research nurses, nurse navigators, and other specialists.
Breast health nurse navigators
Our care team is here to support you. Patient navigators are part of our breast care team. The compassionate, personalized attention helps you with:
- Screening and diagnostic testing – Navigators help explain the different tests, the results and provide breast health education
- Treatment – If you are diagnosed with breast cancer, our specially trained nurse oncology treatment navigators support you throughout the cancer journey
- Survivorship – These navigators help educate women about maintaining health after treatment. We also have a women's boutique with post-mastectomy garments, lymphedema sleeves, head scarves.
Our fitting consultant can help you order wigs and prosthetic garments, if needed.