Ascension has a personalized approach to Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM). We know pregnancy complications can cause fear and anxiety, and we help care for mother and baby during this time with compassion as well as experience.
High-risk pregnancy care
Our care team of MFM specialists, OBGYN doctors, and specially trained nurses help expectant mothers who have an existing condition like high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, or heart disease. Neonatologists and pediatric specialists are also part of the team if the baby has a fetal condition.
Every pregnancy is unique, and your care team will make a personalized plan for you and your baby, sharing it with your doctor. You receive special care and support to make sure you have the safest possible pregnancy and delivery.
Services we provide
- Advanced Obstetric Ultrasound
- Ambulatory and Inpatient Consultation
- Cervical Cerclage
- Chorionic Villus Sampling
- Comprehensive Fetal Care at Dell Children’s
- Diabetes Management in Pregnancy
- Diagnostic 2D, 3D, and 4D Ultrasound
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Fetal Disease
- Fetal Echocardiogram
- Genetic Testing and Counseling
- Nutritional Counseling
- Prenatal Care and Diagnosis
- Preterm Birth Risk Screening
- Specialized Delivery Unit at Dell Children’s
Conditions We Treat
- Abnormal or High-Risk Screening for Down Syndrome or Other Genetic Disorders in Pregnancy
- Autoimmune Disorders (e.g., Crohn's Disease, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Ulcerative Colitis)
- Bleeding or Clotting Disorders
- Cancer in Pregnancy
- Cardiac Disease (e.g., History of Heart Attack, Stroke, Heart Defects)
- Diabetes (e.g., Type 1, Type 2, Gestational)
- Family History of Birth Defects or Genetic Disorders
- History of Preeclampsia
- History of Preterm Delivery
- Mental Health Disorders
The highest level of maternal care
For expecting moms who are at high risk for complications during pregnancy and delivery, Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin offers the highest level of labor and delivery care. Our hospital has a level IV designation — meaning we care for the most complex maternal conditions, obstetric complications and fetal conditions. We have been caring for high-risk pregnancies for more than 35 years – longer than anyone in Central Texas.
Neonatal intensive care unit (NICU)
We can also provide critical care for newborns who need extra attention at our Dell Children’s Level III NICU located within Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin. We are there to take care of you if there are risks or difficulties, such as a baby arriving sooner than expected. Our NICU is supported by the specialists of Dell Children’s Medical Center for a full range of specialty services for newborns who need more complex care.
By choosing Ascension Seton to deliver your baby, you can establish a relationship with a specialist that starts at birth. And you can have confidence knowing you are connected to a network of specialty care at Dell Children’s Medical Center. We have more pediatric specialists and specialty programs than any other hospital in the region.
Genetic counseling and testing is part of MFM specialty care. As part of family planning, we provide pre-conception testing to address any concerns about medical risk factors. By preparing for any emergency, we can help you and your baby have a full-term pregnancy.
To schedule an appointment, please call 512-324-7256.