The chaplains at Ascension Providence Hospital in Novi, Michigan recognize all faiths and beliefs, and will help support your spiritual care needs.
Spiritual Care is a ministry of healing that provides emotional and spiritual support to patients, their families, hospital staff, and volunteers. The Chaplains work as part of the healing team in conjunction with doctors, nurses, and other caregivers. Spiritual care may include responding to crises, assisting persons in the resolution of ethical questions regarding patient care, contacting pastors, priests, rabbis, or other religious representatives as requested, and providing ongoing spiritual support.
Spiritual Care and Chaplains
Patients and their families, as well as staff, who need spiritual and emotional support, can turn to the Providence-Providence Park Hospital, Novi Spiritual Care team. The men and women of our Spiritual Care team are a diverse group of professionals - clergy, lay and religious; Catholic, Protestant and Jewish - who complement the diversity of our patients.
Chaplains try to visit all patients at some time during their hospital stay, but it isn't necessary to wait for a routine visit. Patients who feel the need for pastoral support at any time should call the Spiritual Care office at Providence-Providence Park Hospital, Novi at 248-465-4296, or ask their nurse to do so. Spiritual Care services are also available to those who come to the hospital for outpatient care.
Requests and Referrals
Patients and families of all faiths can request a visit with a Chaplain. Any member of the health team can assist with making a referral. People call on Chaplains for a number of reasons. Many of the situations the Spiritual Care provides services for include:
- Apprehension about surgery
- Overwhelming illness
- Loneliness and isolation
- Discouragement and despair
- Helplessness and hopelessness
- Loss of meaning and purpose
- Fear and anxiety
- Conflict with others
- Facing change and loss
- Struggling with the meaning of life
- Feeling cut off from God
- Grappling with questions about life and death
- Prenatal and Perinatal Loss support
- When a patient is near death, or has died
- Needing the comfort of prayer or spiritual support
- Support for changes in code status
- Decisions regarding a living will and advance directives
- Working through the loss of a loved one
- Facing ethical dilemmas
- Wishing to receive Communion, the Sacrament of Reconciliation, or Sacrament of the Sick
- When there is a miscarriage or stillbirth
- When hospital personnel need pastoral guidance or counsel
- Family members wishing a visit from Spiritual Care and
- Other types of Spiritual Care as needed.
Chapel and Mass Schedule
If you need a quiet, meditative space, or are looking for an opportunity to worship, the hospital chapel is located on the first floor just east of the lobby.
The Chapel is open at all times for your private prayer, meditation, or reflection. Catholic Mass is celebrated Monday and Thursday at 11:30 a.m. in the hospital chapel. Patients may watch the mass on their televisions on Channel 63.
Providence-Providence Park Hospital, Novi respects the religious diversity of our patients. We will try to accommodate any requests related to your religious beliefs to make your experience with us as comfortable as possible. Spiritual Care is available Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m., and on holidays and weekends from 8 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. by calling 248-465-4296.