Having a baby is personal. So is how we care for you. The maternity care team at the NewLife Center at Ascension Via Christi St. Joseph starts by listening to you and answering your questions. Whether you’re having your first baby or you’re an experienced mom, you know your body best and your preferences are important. By getting to know you, we deliver compassionate, personalized care for you and your baby. From prenatal and pregnancy care, to labor, delivery and beyond, get the right care for you, close to home.
Your NewLife Center maternity care team includes:
- OB-GYN doctors available 24/7
- Experienced labor and delivery nurses
- Around the clock coverage by board-certified neonatologists, neonatal nurse practitioners, board-certified anesthesiologists and certified registered nurse anesthetists
- Lactation consultants and a dedicated breastfeeding clinic for ongoing support and care
- Consulting specialists are available for pediatric surgery, genetic conditions, neurology, urology, and conditions affecting the bones, heart, lungs or blood
- Audiologists to test baby's hearing before they go home
- A NewLife chaplain and social workers
- Pediatric therapists specializing in speech-language pathology, swallowing concerns and physical therapy
- An OB phone nurse to answer your questions throughout your pregnancy
Birth center with personalized labor and delivery options
At the NewLife Center, we are here to make childbirth as smooth as possible. Your maternity care team helps you to create a plan that’s right for you. This includes pain management, music for your birthing suite and selecting support people for your delivery.
Our 15 spacious labor and delivery suites are designed to provide an intimate and comfortable childbirth environment for you and your baby. The birthing center is equipped to handle the expected and unexpected. If you or your baby needs extra care, our Level III NICU is just steps away.
Ascension Via Christi Neonatal Intensive Care in Wichita, Kansas
Your newborn will be supported by a compassionate care team with advanced credentials in neonatal critical care. We specialize in treating premature babies or newborns with health conditions. The facility is prepared for even the most complicated pregnancy and birthing needs. Your high-risk pregnancy care includes a maternal-fetal medicine specialist who can assess and treat issues that develop during pregnancy.
Neonatologists are available 24/7 to attend to emergency deliveries and treat a full range of neonatal conditions. Within the Level III NICU, babies are closely monitored. Each bed can be enclosed for breastfeeding, skin-to-skin contact, and quiet time for you and your baby. If you’re nursing, lactation rooms are also available. Additional rooms may be used for overnight stays after you've been discharged from the hospital.
Ascension Via Christi offers 24/7 air and ground transport to the hospital by a team specializing in transporting newborns. The NICU care team includes neonatal occupational, physical and speech therapists, dietitian and board-certified lactation consultants. A social worker is available to help connect you with hospital and community resources. And, a chaplain is assigned to the unit to provide spiritual support.
Breastfeeding clinic and post-delivery care
After your baby is born, you'll move to one of our large suites with a queen size bed and nutritious, tasty room service menu. The NewLife Center has been designated as a Baby-Friendly Hospital, a global initiative that helps you to breastfeed successfully. Breastfeeding moms will find advice and encouragement with breastfeeding classes before their babies are born, and visits from a certified lactation consultant during their hospital stay. Follow-up support is provided in our breastfeeding clinic, Monday through Friday, at no cost to you.
Postpartum support group
If you have a new baby and need additional guidance, you can talk with a registered nurse. We offer in-person and online support groups to talk about common parental concerns and overcoming baby stressors at home.
Childbirth classes and tours
Group tours of the NewLife Center are available Sunday afternoons, Tuesday evenings, Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings in Wichita. Private tours also are available. Each tour provides access to birthing rooms, postpartum rooms, and the breastfeeding clinic. You’ll also see where to go for your labor and delivery. You are given preadmission paperwork and childbirth class information to start planning your birthing experience.
Childbirth classes are offered at no cost to you. This has been made possible due to a grant from Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals at Ascension Via Christi. These classes prepare parents and families for the impending birth. For more information about our childbirth classes or a tour, call 316-689-5485.
- Has maintained High 5 for Mom & Baby recognition since 2015, a program developed to increase breastfeeding initiation and duration rates in Kansas
- The only hospital in south-central Kansas to receive “High Performing” designation by the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for Maternity Care for 2021