Ascension Via Christi in Pittsburg, KS, delivers inpatient rehabilitation care for stroke, serious illnesses or traumatic injuries at the Acute Rehabilitation Unit at Ascension Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg.
When you choose Ascension Via Christi, you’ll benefit from a team approach, bringing together the expertise of many health professionals with advanced rehabilitation training, always remembering that the most important team members are you and your family.
You and your family are connected to specialized rehabilitation care for the following conditions:
- Audiology and balance
- Brain injury
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Cancer rehab, including lymphedema therapy
- Concussion impairment
- Joint replacement
- Loss of limb
- Neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis (MS), Guillain-Barre' syndrome (GBS), and Parkinson's disease
- Orthopedic injuries (back, shoulder, hand, wrist, hip injury)
- Post COVID-19
- Spinal cord dysfunction or injury
- Sports medicine
- Voice impairments (stuttering, vocal cord dysfunction, swallowing disorder, memory)
- Work-related injuries
For more information or to schedule a visit, please call admissions at (620) 235-3536 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Personalized care for your rehabilitation needs
The Acute Rehabilitation Unit (ARU) at Ascension Via Christi Hospital in Pittsburg is located on the second floor. Our unit offers private areas for one-on-one therapy, as well as open areas for exercise, equipment use and patient interaction.
You will benefit from comprehensive medical management led by doctors with extensive rehabilitation expertise. Medical specialist consultations are available on site as well as diagnostic tests and medical procedures as part of hospital-based rehabilitation units.
During your stay, you will benefit from:
- One-on-one therapy sessions with individualized treatment plan
- Emphasis on addressing psychosocial as well as physical and spiritual needs, patient/family education, and discharge planning
- Opportunities for meaningful community re-entry therapy sessions and comprehensive home assessments
- All private rooms and common spaces to relax and connect with guests
We offer the following rehabilitation services as part of our comprehensive care:
- Wound and skin management
- Intensive program for regaining ability to walk
- Vestibular, balance, and dizziness rehabilitation
- Neurologic rehabilitation (for conditions including stroke, spinal cord injury, brain injury, ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), MS, Parkinson’s disease)
- Vision therapy
- Custom splint fabrication
- Neurologic rehabilitation (for conditions including stroke, spinal cord injury, brain injury, ALS, MS, Parkinson’s disease)
- Cognitive rehabilitation
- Dysphagia (swallowing disorders) rehabilitation
- Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing (FEES) test
- Modified barium swallow exam
- VitalStim® therapy and NMES
- Voice disorder therapy
- Communication disorder rehabilitation
A team of supportive rehabilitation specialists
Whether you’re recovering from a stroke, an illness or an injury, we’re here for you. Specialists at Ascension Via Christi Rehabilitation provide compassionate care for your rehabilitation needs. A rehabilitation physician will coordinate your overall treatment program and oversee the efforts of the rehabilitation team caring for you. All care plans are carefully coordinated with your primary care physician to ensure the treatment most fits your needs.
Our team focuses on improving your emotional and physical health and involves your family or caregiver team for daily support to create a care plan personalized to your specific needs. Your team may include:
- Rehabilitation-trained nurses provide round-the-clock nursing care and can help answer questions you and your family may have.
- Physical therapists will teach you exercises to improve your balance, strength and mobility. They may also help you learn how to use walkers and canes, braces, artificial limbs or other mobility devices.
- Occupational therapists focus on improving your everyday living skills, including bathing, dressing, grooming and eating. They also may provide training to you with equipment that will help you better perform these activities.
- Speech therapists work to improve your ability to communicate, problem-solve and reason, and address any problems with swallowing.
- Case managers will explain the details of your stay and outline any lifestyle changes you may expect. In addition to working with you and your insurance company to certify your ongoing rehabilitation, your case manager will coordinate your discharge needs.
Your rehabilitation care team may also include a dietitian, pharmacist, respiratory therapist, behavioral health provider, and other specialists. Your therapy sessions and activities will be posted daily on a schedule board. Your doctor will continue to follow your progress and remain in charge of your medical care. Prior to discharge, caregivers are given the education and training needed to support the patient at home.