Ascension Via Christi Cancer Center
- Hospital/Medical Center
- Cancer Care
- Specialty Care
1 Mount Carmel Way
Pittsburg, KS 66762
Monday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
What type of appointment would you like to book?
You don’t have to travel far to get personalized cancer care and support services. Ascension Via Christi Cancer Center provides a healing environment with advanced technologies delivered by a dedicated and experienced multispecialty care team. Your oncologist listens to understand you and your health concerns. Then, our cancer specialists work with you to create a care plan that’s right for you.
Multispecialty cancer care delivers targeted therapy for your cancer needs
We’re dedicated to delivering targeted cancer therapies with supportive cancer care services. At this cancer center, our tumor boards bring together specialists who may review your treatment plan, if needed. Your multispecialty care teams include medical oncologists, radiation oncologist and oncology pharmacist who diagnose and treat many types of cancer. Our goal is to create a personalized care plan that helps improve your quality of life.
Cancer specialists have the expertise to diagnose and treat:
- Brain and spine cancer
- Breast cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Head and neck cancer
- Genitourinary (GU) cancers, including bladder and prostate
- Gynecologic cancers, including ovarian and cervical
- Lung and esophagus cancer
- Skin cancer, basal cell, melanoma and squamous
- Other types of cancer
Advanced diagnostic testing
The Ascension Via Christi Cancer Center offers innovative diagnostic procedures to help your doctor better understand your health and make a diagnosis. Diagnostic tests include:
- CT (computed tomography) scan - a non-invasive procedure that takes detailed pictures of the inside of the body. Ascension Via Christi in Pittsburg is home to the area's first 128-slice CT machine.
- Mammogram - used to view the tissue inside the breast, this test is often used to help diagnose breast cancer and tumors. Ascension Via Christi's Women's Imaging Center offers 3D mammography, one of the most advanced technologies in breast cancer detection.
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) - a painless, non-surgical procedure that is used to view inside the body.
- Nuclear medicine - Specialists at Ascension Via Christi use a very small amount of radioactive material to view organs and see how they are functioning.
- Positron emission tomography (PET) CT - a sensitive type of CT scan that allows your doctor to see changes in your tissues and organs.
- SPECT scan (single photon emission computed tomography) - a three dimensional imaging technique used in nuclear medicine.
- Stereotactic breast biopsy - a non-surgical outpatient procedure which can determine if an abnormality is cancerous.
Targeted cancer care
Medical oncology - treatments are provided in a comfortable infusion center. Chemotherapy and other treatments may involve oral, intravenous (IV) or topical medication therapy. These treatments may be combined with surgery or other treatments.
Inside our main chemotherapy area, large windows pour sunshine into the room. Seven private chemotherapy suites with recliners offer comfort and quiet to patients preferring to lie down and rest. Patients can also watch television while receiving intravenous medications, and there’s room for another chair for a visitor . Each therapy station features its own television set with earphones for the patient. In addition to conventional television channels, a special channel is available to educate patients about their disease while they are being treated.
- Hormone therapy
- Management of oral targeted therapy
Radiation oncology offers a range of advanced treatments, including:
- Prostate Brachytherapy
- External beam radiation therapy (EBRT) with image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT)
- Stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) and stereotactic radiation therapy (SRT)
Surgeons specializing in breast surgery and reconstruction, gastric surgery, lung and chest surgery, and urologic surgery deliver advanced surgical treatments. Minimally invasive techniques are used whenever possible. Image-guided and computer-assisted technology with high-definition navigation helps your surgeon remove a tumor while preserving healthy tissue. Minimally invasive surgery helps promote healing and reduce scarring, for example:
- Endobronchial thoracic surgery
- Hidden scar, a breast surgery technique
- Mohs microsurgery
- Reconstructive breast plastic surgery
- Robotic-assisted surgery with the da Vinci® Xi system
Cancer support programs and services
You don’t have to cope with cancer alone. We’re here to help, listen and offer services that wrap around your treatment plan. You can also talk with a chaplain or palliative care specialist. We offer services that help promote your physical and emotional recovery after your primary treatment. Our support services include:
- Financial aid counselors offer options and an explanation of your insurance benefits.
- Nutritionists monitor your diet and provide meal planning support.
- Oncology pharmacists help you understand your medications, side effects and the importance of taking your oral medications and supplements in the right order.
- Palliative care specialists help you manage your symptoms.
About our cancer center
Originally opened 26 years ago, the Cancer Center was funded entirely by donations to the Mount Carmel Foundation. It was then renovated in 2022 through $1 million made up entirely of community donations.
Ascension Via Christi Cancer Center offers state-of-the-art cancer detection and treatment services including sophisticated radiation therapy equipment, chemotherapy, and cancer specialists and support staff.
Through the community’s generosity, the chemotherapy area now has seven private treatment suites and the entire cancer center was updated to create a brighter and more welcoming environment. A refurbished patient and family resource room provides a comfortable space for the patient and family education, nutritional counseling and spiritual and emotional support services.
Ascension Via Christi Hospital also made a significant investment in the cancer center, adding a $1.5 million state-of-the-art TrueBeam linear accelerator, allowing patients to receive highly precise radiation therapy in a shorter period of time.