At Ascension St. Vincent, our diabetes care team specialize in compassionate, personalized care that is right for you. Whether you have Type 1, Type 1.5, or Type 2 diabetes, or are identified as pre-diabetic, there’s more to managing your condition eating a bland diet. The diabetes care team deliver specialty care and diabetes education and nutrition counseling to help you better manage your condition and feel your best.
Our experienced care team includes endocrinologists, diabetic nurse educators, and dietitians. We are passionate about helping you understand how to manage your diabetic condition and offer a patient-focused approach to living a healthy lifestyle. This includes self-care through knowledge, behavior changes, and tools to help make changes for your overall health and well-being.
We develop an individual program that best fits your lifestyle and personalize our education programs for adults and children and their families. Our goal is to help you make good choices without having to give up all the things you love.
Diabetic support and education
Our diabetic support focuses on building self-management skills. This includes:
- Recognizing impaired glucose tolerances
- Monitoring blood glucose
- Administering insulin
- Managing medications and side effects
- Preventing diabetic-related conditions such as neuropathy, foot and vision problems, polycystic ovary syndrome, vascular disease, and heart disease
Individual classes and support groups discuss exercise, stress, nutrition, and quality of life goal setting.
Our self-management training program emphasizes:
- Healthy meal planning and effects of food on blood sugar
- Information about fats, sodium, and fiber
- Understanding lipids, cholesterol, and triglycerides
- How to avoid the long-term complications of diabetes
- Medication management and what to do on "sick days"
All services require a doctor’s order. Insurance policies vary on reimbursement for education services and we encourage you to check coverage prior to your appointment. Financial assistance is available for qualified candidates.