In Madison County, our diabetes education team helps give you the tools you need to self-manage your type of diabetes. Whether you have Type 1, Type 1.5, or Type 2 diabetes, or are identified as pre-diabetic, there’s more to managing your condition than eating a bland diet.
The diabetes care team at Ascension St. Vincent Anderson provides a team approach that includes doctors specializing in diabetes, nurse educators, and registered dietitians to help you better manage your condition and feel your best.
Our experienced care team includes endocrinologists, diabetic nurse educators, and dieticians. We are passionate about helping you understand how to manage your diabetic condition and offer a patient-focused approach to living a healthy lifestyle. This includes self-care through knowledge, behavior changes, and tools to help make changes for your overall health and well-being.
We can develop an individual program that best fits your lifestyle. We have education services for adults and children with diabetes and their families. Our goal is to help you make good choices without having to give up all the things you love.
Diabetic support and education
Our diabetic support focuses on building self-management skills. This includes:
- Recognizing impaired glucose tolerances
- Monitoring blood glucose
- Administering insulin
- Managing medications and side effects
- Preventing diabetic-related conditions such as neuropathy, foot and vision problems, polycystic ovary syndrome, vascular disease, and heart disease
Individual classes and support groups discuss exercise, stress, nutrition and quality of life goal setting.
Our self-management training program allows you to:
- Learn about healthy meal planning and effects of food on blood sugar
- Get information on fats, sodium, and fiber
- Get information on lipids, cholesterol, and triglycerides
- Avoid long-term complications of diabetes
- Learn medication management and what to do on "sick days"
Ask your doctor for more information or contact us at (812) 276-1288.
All services require a doctor’s order. Insurance policies vary on reimbursement for education services and we encourage you to check coverage prior to your appointment. Financial assistance is available for qualified candidates. For more information, please call (317) 338-2349.