Ascension Medical Group St. Vincent's Weight Loss Services - Waycross
What type of appointment would you like to book?
Insurance Coverage Bariatric Surgery
Your health insurance paves the way for your weight-loss journey. Bariatric surgery is an elective procedure, so it is important you understand what is and is not covered by your insurance plan. Our insurance coordinator can help explain your pre-approval requirements and submit you for coverage. Most insurance plans require you to participate in a weight-loss trial under a doctor’s supervision. They may also request documents that show that your weight has been a long-term health issue.
Insurance coverage checklist
Before working with our insurance coordinator, we highly recommend contacting your insurance provider to verify your bariatric surgery coverage and any plan limitations. Here are some common questions you can ask:
- Is bariatric surgery covered on my insurance plan or is it an exclusion?
- What requirements do I need to meet to qualify for surgery?
- What is my deductible? What are my out of pocket costs? Is my deductible applied to my out of pocket?
- What CPT codes are covered by my insurance for bariatric weight-loss surgery?
- What type of weight-loss documentation do I need to qualify for surgery?
- Do I need a pre-surgery psychiatric evaluation? Is this covered?
Please document the date, time, and name of the individual you speak with at your insurance company, as well as the information they provide you.