Ascension St. Vincent's Southside - Inpatient Rehabilitation
- Specialty Care
What type of appointment would you like to book?
Advanced specialty care for recovery from serious injury
Ascension St. Vincent’s Southside in Jacksonville, Florida, delivers inpatient rehabilitation care for serious illnesses or traumatic injuries in our acute rehabilitation unit located on the 5th floor of our Southside hospital.
When you choose Ascension St. Vincent’s, you’ll benefit from a team approach, bringing together the expertise of many health professionals with advanced rehabilitation training, always remembering that the most important team members are you and your family.
You and your family are connected to specialized rehabilitation care for the following conditions:
- Brain injury
- Spinal cord dysfunction or injury
- Amputation and limb impairment
- Orthopedic injuries, hip fractures or post-surgical repair
- Neurological diseases such as multiple sclerosis (MS), Guillain-Barre' syndrome (GBS), and Parkinson's disease
- Other neuro-muscular disorders and medically disabling conditions such as pulmonary disease and dysfunction; renal failure or post surgery rehab may also qualify
For more information to schedule a visit, please call the Admissions at 904-450-7200
Personalized care for your rehabilitation needs
You will benefit from comprehensive medical management led by doctors with extensive rehabilitation expertise. Medical specialist consultations are available on site as well as diagnostic tests and medical procedures as part of hospital-based rehabilitation units.
During your stay, you will benefit from:
- One-on-one therapy sessions with individualized treatment plan
- Emphasis on addressing psychosocial as well as physical needs, patient/family education, and discharge planning
- Opportunities for meaningful community re-entry therapy sessions and comprehensive home assessments
- All private rooms and common spaces to relax and connect with guests
We offer the following rehabilitation services as part of our comprehensive care:
- Wound care
- Intensive gait program
- Vestibular, balance, and dizziness rehabilitation
- Neurologic rehabilitation (for conditions including stroke, spinal cord injury, brain injury, ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), MS, Parkinson’s disease)
- Vision therapy
- Custom splint fabrication
- Neurologic rehabilitation (for conditions including stroke, spinal cord injury, brain injury, ALS, MS, Parkinson’s disease)
- Cognitive rehabilitation
- Dysphagia (swallowing disorders) rehabilitation
- Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing (FEES) test
- Modified barium swallow exam
- VitalStim® therapy and NMES
- Voice disorder therapy
- Communication disorder rehabilitation
A team of supportive rehabilitation specialists
Whether you’re recovering from an illness or an injury, we’re here for you. Specialists at Ascension St. Vincent’s provides compassionate care for your rehabilitation needs. Our team focuses on improving your emotional and physical health and involves your family or caregiver team for daily support to create a care plan personalized to your specific needs. Your team may include:
- Medical director is a doctor trained in rehabilitation who will coordinate your overall treatment program and oversee the efforts of the rehabilitation team caring for your.
- Rehabilitation nurses provide round-the-clock nursing care and can help answer questions you and your family may have.
- Physical therapists will teach you exercises to improve your balance, strength and mobility. They may also help you learn how to use walkers and canes, braces, artificial limbs or other mobility devices.
- Occupational therapists focus on improving your everyday living skills, including bathing, dressing, grooming and eating. They also may provide training to you with equipment that will help you better perform these activities.
- Speech therapists work to improve your ability to communicate, problem-solve and reason, and address any problems with swallowing.
- Case managers will explain the details of your stay and outline any lifestyle changes you may expect. In addition to working with you and your insurance company to certify your ongoing rehabilitation, your case manager will coordinate your discharge needs.
Your rehabilitation care team may also include a dietitian, pharmacist, respiratory therapist and specialists. Your therapy sessions and activities will be posted daily on a schedule board. Your doctor will continue to follow your progress and remain in charge of your medical care.