At Ascension's Via Christi Cancer Center in Wichita, Kansas, we specialize in targeted cancer therapies with radiation and CyberKnife technology.
Ascension Via Christi Cancer Center in Wichita, on the campus of Ascension Via Christi St. Francis, is a freestanding cancer treatment facility for outpatient cancer rehabilitation and radiation therapy, including our CyberKnife radiosurgery system. The cancer care center also houses the Ascension Via Christi Cancer Resource Center.
Therapies offered at the Cancer Center are:
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT): External beam therapies, these allow for precise treatment of deadly tumors with less damage to health tissue.
- High-dose-rate brachytherapy: This precise treatment places a source of radiation in close proximity to the tumor, allowing the delivery of high doses of radiation while sparing healthy tissue.
CyberKnife targeted radiation therapy, available at Via Christi’s Cancer Center in Wichita, is a noninvasive alternative to surgery for treating tumors anywhere in the body, even hard-to-reach tumors that can’t be removed surgically. By delivering high-dose radiation with accuracy, this offers many patients new options that were not possible in the past. CyberKnife is most often used to treat breast, bone, prostate and lung cancer.
CyberKnife offers patients treatment with:
- No incision
- No anesthesia
- No pain
- No need for an immobilizing head frame during treatment
- Minimal recovery time
- Rapid return to normal activity
Cancer Resource Center
Via Christi Cancer Resource Center is a comfortable, welcoming environment for learning about cancer. We offer quiet study areas, with numerous books, brochures and multimedia resources. Here you'll find information on all aspects of cancer, from general questions to the latest advances in treatment. Those without cancer can also visit to learn ways to prevent or reduce the risk factors for cancer.
If you want to connect with others who have cancer, you can attend our cancer support groups and classes. We also have a special play corner that is available for children who are being accompanied by an adult. This friendly area offers age-appropriate books that specifically address what is happening to their loved ones.
At the Cancer Resource Center, you can:
- Gather information on the entire continuum of cancer as a disease.
- Access materials available in a variety of languages.
- Receive educational help from an oncology-certified nurse.
- Learn about community resources for cancer patients.
- Attend educational sessions.
- Help your children understand their cancer or that of a family member.
- Discover lifestyle changes you can make that may prevent cancer.
- Assess your degree of risk for various cancers.
- Grow in knowledge, hope and determination.
- Consumer health books, brochures, magazines and newsletters
- Internet access to cancer-specific website
- Laptops with WIFI access to use during chemotherapy treatment
- Audiovisual materials
- Health models
- Children's books