School-Based Health Centers in Michigan
School-based healthcare for children and teens
With easier access to healthcare, School-Based Health Centers can help to improve the health, well-being and success of your child. Ascension Southeast Michigan Community Health partners with more than 27 schools across Oakland, Macomb, Wayne, Genesee and St. Joseph counties. Health Center care teams provide students with physical, mental and emotional support. We listen to understand your child’s health concerns. Then, we work together to deliver the right care.
Medical, dental and vision services
At School-Based Health Centers, our care teams provide children with full medical care, dental and vision services, including:
- Dental exams
- General health exams
- Gynecological exams and pap smears
- Laboratory and diagnostic testing
- Nutrition counseling
- Pregnancy testing
- Restorative care (extractions, fillings)
- Sexually transmitted disease testing, treatment and counseling
- Sports physicals
- Teeth cleaning
- Visual exams
To receive care, your child must have a consent form on file, unless it is an emergency. You will be notified when your child has been treated. If a student does not have health insurance, we can help them obtain coverage. We do not collect any copays or charge students for our services.
Behavioral and mental health services
If your child experiences anxiety, depression, bullying or other behavior problems, we’re here to help. Our behavioral health specialists provide a range of mental health services including prevention, intervention and recovery support. Individual and group treatments include:
- Behavioral modification
- Crisis intervention
- Family counseling
- Health education and programming
- Individual and group counseling
- Substance abuse counseling
Health education and activities
Health education programming helps your child to develop important life skills in and outside of the classroom. Our programs include:
- 5-2-1-0 - Endorsed by the American Academy of Pediatricians, 5-2-1-0 helps children make healthier choices such as reducing sugary beverages, limiting screen time and being active.
- Abstinence Teen Retreat - A full day event where high school students learn about abstinence and participate in team building activities.
- Asthma Camp - A three-day event where students learn about managing their asthma symptoms using the Deep Breaths Program, while engaging in outdoor activities and team building events.
- Deep Breaths - An asthma education program that helps students to learn how to manage asthma symptoms and reduce missed school days.
- KidMiles - An evidence-based nutrition and exercise program, which ends with an overnight event where students participate in the 5-2-1-0 program and run/walk the Detroit Free Press Marathon 5k or Fun Run race.
- R Rules - A program that helps teens to identify and use resources, learn life skills and build resilience.
- Red Flags - A framework and toolkit for school-based mental health education that focuses on depression and suicide prevention.
- Reducing the Risk - A program designed to help high school students delay the initiation of sex and reduce the occurrence of STD/HIV infection.
- Safe Dates - A school-based program for middle and high school students designed to prevent dating violence and victimization.
Through our Health Centers, we are committed to improving the quality of life for the communities we serve.