NewLife Center for Every Type of Pregnancy
Maternity Services for You
When you're having a baby, you want privacy, special touches and caring support. Ascension Via Christi provides that compassionate, personalized care for you and your baby in Wichita, Manhattan and Pittsburg.
Ascension Via Christi New Life Center in Wichita, KS
We listen to understand your needs during pregnancy and birth. Wichita's NewLife Center spans the entire fourth floor of the hospital, creating the feeling of a freestanding center. Your comfort is our priority. Our team provides care for every type of labor and delivery, including the times when a baby needs special medical care in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Our caring, experienced, family-friendly team is there for you before, during and after the childbirth.
The NewLife Center care team is highly experienced and specially trained to care for moms and babies through every phase of labor, delivery and after childbirth to return home.
The facility is prepared for even the most complicated pregnancies and births, with obstetricians and labor and delivery nursing staff trained in obstetrical and neonatal critical care for high-risk pregnant mothers and premature or ill newborns.
Your Delivery Care
Birth plans allow expectant moms to plan in advance what type of pain relief they'd like during childbirth, whether that’s silence or soft music, or being alone with their partner during the actual childbirth or having other family or friends present.
Our 15 spacious and attractively decorated labor and delivery suites are designed to provide an intimate and comfortable childbirth environment for you, your baby, partner, family and friends. Each room also is equipped with the technology necessary to help provide a safe labor and delivery. Our birthing center is equipped to handle the expected and unexpected, with a Level III NICU just steps away.
Post Delivery Care
After your baby is born, you'll move to one of our large, well-appointed mom and baby suites. The queen-size beds deliver some pampering for mom and baby, including nutritious, tasty room service menu options.
Breastfeeding moms will find advice and encouragement with breastfeeding classes before their babies are born, a visit from a certified lactation consultant during their hospital stay. Follow-up support is provided in our breastfeeding clinic for free Monday through Friday.
Group tours of the New Life Center are available Sunday afternoons, Tuesday evenings, Thursday evenings or Saturday mornings; in Wichita, private tours also are available. These tours provide information about where to go at time of delivery and gives you a chance to see the New Life Center birthing rooms, postpartum rooms, and the breastfeeding clinic. You will receive a birth plan, preadmission paperwork and childbirth education class information to begin planning your labor experience. We will go over everything from where to park, what to bring and what happens at the hospital. For information about a group or private tour at our New Life Center in Wichita, go online at viachristi.org/events and select “NewLife Center tour” and “Wichita” from the dropdown menus. Or, you can call 316-689-5485.
Childbirth classes are offered at no cost to participants. This has been made possible due to a grant from Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals at Ascension Via Christi. These classes prepare parents, siblings, aunts, uncles and grandparents for the impending birth.
Ascension Via Christi Childbirth Team
Ascension Via Christi delivers thousands of babies at the NewLife Center and are supported by a highly trained team to care for you and your baby through every phase of labor, childbirth, recovery and preparation to return home.
- OB-GYN doctors available 24/7
- Experienced team of labor and delivery nurses and support staff
- Around the clock coverage by board-certified neonatologists and neonatal nurse practitioners; and board-certified anesthesiologists and certified registered nurse anesthetists
- Lactation consultants provide breastfeeding education and support to all breastfeeding moms. We have dedicated breastfeeding clinic for ongoing support and care
- Consulting specialists are available in pediatric surgery, genetic conditions, conditions affecting the urinary or nervous system, bones, heart, lungs or blood; and infectious disease
- Our audiologists test every baby's hearing before he or she goes home
- A NewLife chaplain and social workers provide guidance and support
- Pediatric therapists specialize in speech-language pathology, swallowing concern, and physical therapy
Ascension Via Christi Neonatal Intensive Care in Wichita, Kansas
When our tiniest patients need advanced medical care, we have a neonatal care team onsite. At Ascension Via Christi, the New Life Center and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) delivers compassionate, personalized care. The hands and hearts of every care team member are unified in one mission: seeking the best outcome for your precious newborn.
Exceptional Care Around the Clock
Neonatologists are on duty 24 hours a day to attend to emergency deliveries and to treat the full range of neonatal conditions. Your newborn will be cared for by a compassionate care team with advanced credentials in neonatal critical care. Ascension Via Christi offers 24-hour air and ground transport to the hospital by a team specializing in transporting newborns.
The NICU team includes neonatal occupational, physical and speech therapists, dietitian and board-certified lactation consultants.
While the unit's open environment allows babies to be closely monitored, each bed can be easily enclosed for breastfeeding, skin-to-skin contact and quiet time for you and your baby. For nursing mothers, there's a spacious lactation room and rooms (as available) that may be used for overnight stays after you've been discharged from the hospital.
The NICU's social worker can help connect you with hospital and community resources; the chaplain assigned to the unit and a third-floor chapel stands ready to provide spiritual support.
Prior to discharge, you can spend a night or two caring for your baby in a bedroom housed within the unit so that you can practice your care-giving skills with the medical and nursing staff close at hand.
Ascension Via Christi Birth and Women’s Center in Manhattan
Ascension Via Christi's Birth and Women's Center gives you the best of both worlds. We offer advanced medical services and technologies to keep you and your child safe, all in a warm, family-focused environment. We strive every day to provide highly trained hands and a strong heart to each person we serve. Our mission is to create a personalized birthing experience that meets the individual needs of each mother and family.
Giving birth to your new baby is one of the most natural and rewarding experiences of your life. At the Birth and Women's Center, we are here to help provide comfort and support during this memorable, life-changing time. Our family-centered model of care fosters an environment where the family is a vital part of the decision-making. Our goal is to have a happy and healthy mother, baby and family.
Designed with you and your baby in mind, Ascension Via Christi Birth and Women's Center offers:
- A homelike environment for labor delivery and recovery
- A place where family and friends are welcome
- A wide range of non-invasive, low-tech birthing techniques, including whirlpool hot tub and birthing ball
- Rooming-in with your baby
- Double-sized beds
- New in-room bassinets
- Individualized nursing care according to the standards set by our national governing organizations:
- Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)
- Care based on the concepts of The Institute for Family-Centered Care
- Highly trained staff
- The only AAP-registered Level II neonatal intensive care nursery in the area, meaning we are prepared to care for babies who are premature or have other special medical needs
- State-of-the-art monitoring equipment and high-tech capabilities for the safety of you and your baby
- Infant security system for your peace of mind
- Mother and baby couplet care offering support and education for mothers
- A breastfeeding-friendly facility
- A certified, full-time lactation consultant on staff who offers breastfeeding consultations by appointment
- Educational courses about childbirth, breastfeeding, daddy basics, first aid and more
Our specially trained staff includes:
- Nurses trained in basic and advanced fetal monitoring through the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
- All nurses trained in the Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) offered through the American Heart Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Nursery staff complete the S.T.A.B.L.E. Program, which addresses the stabilization of newborns who are born with heart, respiratory or other problems
- All nurses are trained in breastfeeding support
With the guidance of an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, new mothers can seek answers from qualified professionals, whether they want information on breastfeeding products, or advice about how to approach and become more comfortable with the process of breastfeeding. We make it easy to find the breastfeeding guidance you need.
Are you looking for advice about breastfeeding, but don't know where to turn? Our Lactation Services Department provides lactation consultations with our International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant.
Consultations may be suitable if your baby has poor weight gain, suck problems, or milk transfer problems, or if you have sore nipples or low milk production. Consults, by appointment only, usually take 60 to 90 minutes, including evaluation, recommendations and coordination of care with physicians as needed. Follow-up appointments will be scheduled as needed. Consultations will be billed to insurance. Please verify coverage for lactation consults prior to arrival.
Walk-in Breastfeeding Clinic
For peace of mind and minor breastfeeding concerns, our walk-in clinic is offered every Tuesday from 10 am to noon. Our IBCLCs can offer problem-focused information, weight checks for baby, observation and adjustments to feedings, and coordination of care with physicians as needed. Walk-in services are free!
Dr. M.K. Parsi Women's Center in Pittsburg
Labor and delivery and other women's services are offered at the Dr. M.K. Parsi Women's Center in Pittsburg, KS. The center, which opened in 2012, has five labor rooms featuring state-of-the-art labor and delivery facilities with a hotel-like atmosphere and comforts, including room service, flat-screen televisions and larger bathrooms.
Ascension Via Christi Women's Health offers advanced medical services and technologies to keep you and your child safe, all in a warm, family-focused environment. We strive every day to provide highly trained hands and a strong heart to each person we serve. Our mission is to create a personalized birthing experience that meets the individual needs of each mother and family.
Giving birth to your new baby is one of the most natural and rewarding experiences of your life. We are here to help provide comfort and support during this memorable, life-changing time. Our family-centered model of care fosters an environment where the family is a vital part of the decision-making. Our goal is to have a happy and healthy mother, baby and family.
To ensure you have a healthy and safe delivery, the center has fetal heart monitors, infant monitors and a security system. There also is an operating room equipped for cesarean section births is close by.
The friendly staff in our Level II nursery are there to care for your newborn from the moment he or she enters the world.
Once your baby has been delivered, you will be moved into one of our 13 spacious, all-private postpartum suites. In addition to the hotel-like amenities, each room features a queen-sized bed to enable fathers as well as mothers to bond with their new child. To assist new mothers, lactation consultants will be available to help you start breastfeeding your baby.
Scheduled Tours at Our Centers
To schedule a tour, please contact the following centers: