Advanced stroke care in Wisconsin
When the brain is injured by a lack of good blood flow, a stroke or aneurysm is possible. Our brain and spine specialists have important tests to access the risk of stroke and then employ preventive treatments to restore blood flow to the brain.
Daniel Gibson, MD, is a neuro-interventional radiologist and neurosurgeon at our Ascension Southeast Wisconsin hospitals. He is seeing remarkable patient outcomes after performing advanced neuro-interventions, like the trans-carotid artery revascularization (TCAR), with fast-acting, clot-busting tPA medications. Dr. Gibson and the Ascension Stroke Care team knows stroke is much like a bubble that is about to burst, often, without warning. That is why stroke is called the silent killer. The neuro-interventions available at Ascension hospitals are:
- Minimizing brain damage
- Opening blood flow to critical areas of the brain.
- Preventing repeat strokes even in complex cases
- Surgically treating hard-to-reach aneurysms and brain tumors
Dr. Gibson specializes in treating adult patients with:
- Arteriovenous malformation (AVM)
- Brain aneurysm
- Brain tumors
- Carotid artery blockage
- Cerebral aneurysm
- Intracranial vascular disease
- Stroke and transient ischemic attacks (TIA)
- Vascular disease
“It’s our belief that by empowering patients and the care team with information we can better manage complex neurovascular diseases.” – Daniel Gibson, MD, Neuro-interventional radiologist
Ascension Certified Stroke Care Programs in the Milwaukee Area
A stroke is always a medical emergency. Prompt treatment is crucial. Our mission is to care those in greatest need. The Ascension stroke care teams serve communities throughout southeast Wisconsin and have the reputation for treating the hard, difficult cases.
Are you at risk for stroke?
These Ascension Wisconsin hospitals are accredited by The Joint Commission as advanced stroke centers:
Comprehensive Stroke Center
Primary Stroke Centers
- Ascension All Saints Hospital, Racine
- Ascension Columbia St. Mary's Hospital Ozaukee, Mequon
- Ascension SE Wisconsin Hospital - Elmbrook Campus, Brookfield
- Ascension SE Wisconsin Hospital - Franklin Campus, Franklin
- Ascension St. Francis Hospital, Milwaukee
- Ascension SE Wisconsin Hospital - St. Joseph Campus, Milwaukee
Outpatient Neuro-intervention Clinics
Take Action and Don't Delay
Remember this tip: B.E.F.A.S.T.
Balance: Check for sudden loss of balance
Eyes: Ask if vision is lost or unclear
Face: Look for an uneven smile
Arm: Check if one arm is weak
Speech: Listen for slurred speech
Time: Call 911 right away
A Holistic Approach to Care
At Ascension we treat the whole person, body, mind and spirit. Stroke and brain aneurysm are preventable. Our doctors and care team focus on the well-being of every patient and that includes emphasizing healthy lifestyle recommendations:
- Control high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Reduce amount of cholesterol in your diet
- Control diabetes
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Quit smoking
- Treat obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)
If you experience a stroke and need acute, inpatient rehabilitation and stroke care, Ascension provides a continuum of care that includes home health care and rehabilitation therapies at partner facilities. Ascension Sacred Heart Rehabilitation Hospital in Milwaukee, WI is a premier acute inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation facility.