Get checked for a heart condition
Heart scan in Michigan
A heart scan is an X-ray used to identify and measure calcium-containing plaque in your arteries. Too much plaque can narrow your arteries and restrict blood flow. Doctors at Ascension in Michigan may use a heart scan to detect your risk of heart disease or heart attack. Calcium buildup in your arteries can be caused by diet, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and other pre-existing medical conditions. That’s why our heart care team starts by getting to know you. We listen to understand you and your health concerns. Then, we work together to create a heart care plan that’s right for you.
Who should get a heart scan?
Your age, gender, lifestyle and medical history play a role in your heart health. You may benefit from a heart scan if you:
- Are a man over age 40 or a woman over age 50
- Are a smoker or have a history of smoking
- Have a family history of heart attack at an early age
- Have diabetes
- Have high blood pressure
- Have high cholesterol
You should not have a heart scan if you are pregnant, have already had a heart attack, coronary bypass surgery or a coronary stent.
At Ascension in Michigan, we work with you to diagnose and manage heart and vascular conditions. Our doctors deliver personalized care for atrial fibrillation, peripheral artery disease, complex heart valve disease, pulmonary embolisms, and more. Getting a heart scan is the first step in finding the right care for you. Make an appointment at one of the following Michigan locations:
For the following Ascension Southeast Michigan locations, call 866-501-3627:
- Ascension Medical Center - Howell, MI
- Ascension St. John Hospital
- Ascension Providence Hospital, Novi Campus
- Ascension Providence Hospital, Southfield Campus
- Ascension Macomb-Oakland Hospital, Warren Campus
- Ascension Macomb-Oakland Hospital, Madison Heights Campus
For other Michigan locations, call:
- Ascension Genesys Hospital - 810-606-1601
- Ascension Saginaw Hospital - 989-907-8222
- Ascension Borgess Hospital - 269-342-1099
- Ascension Providence Rochester Hospital - 844-462-2462
If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, go directly to the ER or call 911.