Heart care for AFib and irregular heartbeat
Heart rhythm and AFib care in Michigan
Our heart care team at Ascension Michigan specializes in atrial fibrillation (AFib), a type of arrhythmia, where your heart beat is irregular, either too fast or too slow. You may feel a flutter or quiver in your chest. Other symptoms may include chest pain, sweating, fatigue, shortness of breath, and weakness.
Our doctors use the EKG test to help detect an irregular heartbeat. At our heart centers and hospitals, we provide many heart tests for AFib and other cardiovascular diseases. Our doctors listen to understand you and your health concerns. Then, we work with you to create a personalized care plan that’s right for you.
AFib treatments to prevent heart failure
AFib may come and go and affect how your heart pumps blood through your body, increasing your risk for stroke and congestive heart failure. That’s why we offer a multi-specialty heart care team. Our electrophysiologists specialize in the diagnosis of heart arrhythmias and offer minimally invasive treatment options.
Advanced heart arrhythmia treatments
A heart rhythm disorder can be a sign of a more serious condition. Our doctors provide personalized electrophysiology (EP) studies, heart evaluations and cardiac risk assessments.
Ascension Michigan heart doctors are specially trained in both surgical and non-surgical treatments:
Non-surgical treatment options of AFib:
- Medications to restore the normal heart rhythm
- Blood thinners to aid in stroke prevention
- Cardioversion which shocks the heart back into a normal rhythm
- Heart rhythm monitors (pacemakers, etc.)
Procedural treatment options for AFib:
- Left atrial catheter ablation
- Radiofrequency catheter ablation
- WATCHMAN™, left atrial occlusion device
Surgical treatments for AFib:
- Maze surgery
- Surgical AFib ablation
Offering minimally invasive heart surgery
Structural or heart valve damage can cause AFib. Our heart surgeons specialize in minimally invasive surgical techniques to repair a heart valve and prevent blood clots from forming in the heart using the WATCHMAN™ device. During a minimally invasive procedure, our surgeon makes tiny incisions. This surgical approach helps shorten your recovery time and lower your risk of infection. Our heart surgeons deliver advanced care to help improve how your heart works.
Heart care and support services
At Ascension Michigan, our care team supports you before, during and after your surgery to help you return to the activities you love to do. We monitor your physical and emotional health and provide cardiac rehab and medication management.
We deliver supportive and compassionate heart care, close to home.
Ascension Michigan Locations
- Ascension Providence Novi, Michigan
- Ascension Providence Southfield, Michigan
- Ascension Macomb-Oakland Warren, Michigan
- Ascension Macomb-Oakland Madison Heights, Michigan
- Ascension St. John Detroit, Michigan
- Ascension Providence Rochester Rochester Hills, Michigan
- Ascension River District East China Township, Michigan
- Ascension St. Mary’s Saginaw, Michigan
- Ascension Standish Standish, Michigan
- Ascension St. Joseph Tawas, Michigan
If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, go directly to the ER or call 911.