Structural heart program delivers specialty care
Structural heart and valve care in KansasFor Wichita, call 316-268-8650 For Pittsburg, call 620-232-5705
Your heart has four valves that pump blood throughout your body. When a valve, chamber or the wall of the heart is damaged, it's called structural heart disease. Symptoms may include chest pains, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, lightheadedness, fatigue, and swollen ankles and feet.
Some people are born with a heart defect that worsens with age. Heart damage can be caused by infections, radiation therapy and inflammatory conditions like lupus or rheumatic fever. Our cardiologists monitor risk factors for heart disease, including high cholesterol and blood pressure to help prevent heart valve damage.
At Ascension Via Christi, we offer a range of diagnostic tests, including imaging to pinpoint damaged or leaky/narrowed valves and cardiac ultrasound, or echo, to determine how well your heart functions. Our doctors and care team work together to create a personalized treatment plan that’s right for you.
Specialists in structural heart and valve surgery
Heart and valve problems can cause heart attack or progressive heart failure. That’s why our team is ready to deliver emergency care when you need it most. Our heart specialists perform cardiac surgeries using minimally invasive techniques, when possible. Some of the conditions they diagnose and treat include:
Ascension Via Christi in Wichita:
- Hardening of the aortic valve (aortic valve stenosis)
- Hardening of the pulmonary valve (pulmonary valve stenosis)
- Hole in the heart (patent foramen ovale, atrial or ventricular septal defect)
- Leakage of the aortic valve (aortic valve regurgitation)
- Left atrial appendage occlusion (for people with atrial fibrillation who are unable to take blood thinners but are at high risk of stroke)
- Mitral valve leakage (mitral valve regurgitation)
- Moderate or severe hardening of the mitral valve (mitral stenosis)
- Tricuspid valve leakage (tricuspid valve regurgitation)
Ascension Via Christi in Pittsburg:
- Cardiac diagnostic testing
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Cardiovascular catheterization lab
- Electrophysiology lab
Minimally invasive heart valve replacement
Using tiny incisions, our heart surgeons specialize in minimally invasive valve replacement and repair. Transcatheter aortic valve replacements, or TAVR, and MitralClip™ procedures may help shorten your recovery time and lower your risk of infection.
Our Wichita team is a leader in clinical trials for new devices and procedures. We give patients the opportunity to access leading-edge structural heart therapies as they are being developed.
Support services for your heart care needs
Our care team is here to support you before, during and after your surgery or heart event. We monitor your physical and emotional health and provide cardiac rehab and medication management.
At Ascension Via Christi we know every person is different. That’s why we listen to you to better understand your health needs. We work with you to provide compassionate heart care, close to home.