Surgical Expertise to Repair Heart Damage
Heart Surgery and Catherization
Our cardiothoracic surgeons are highly experienced in minimally invasive and open-heart surgery to repair heart damage, restore blood flow and heart function. Their great skill and ability to use the latest medical technology gives heart patients (especially those with complex diseases) the best in heart care.
Expertise in Cardiac Surgery
Our patient satisfaction and outcome scores are very high and demonstrate less post-operative pain, decreased fatigue and weakness, shorter recovery time, less risk of memory loss, shorter hospital stay, and fewer complications.
- Coronary artery bypass grafts (CABG)
- Minimally invasive coronary artery bypass (MIDCAB)
- Coronary endarterectomy
- High-risk cardiac disease surgery
- Laser transmyocardial revascularization (LTMR)
- Heart valve repair or replacement (aortic, mitral, tricuspid)
- Off pump coronary artery bypass surgery (OPCAB)
- Minimally invasive vein harvest (without a long incision from ankle to groin)
- Surgical A-fib procedures to restore heart rhythm
Together, Ascension SE Wisconsin Surgical Services offer a highly experienced surgical team and a strong continuity of care after surgery, including cardiac rehabilitation and support services.
As part of your ongoing recovery, our cardiology outreach clinics enable you to get follow-up care closer to home. In this way, you get the personalized care and attention you expect, but from a larger network of heart and vascular specialists.
Restoring Blood Flow Using Radial Catherization
The Ascension interventional cardiologists support all emergency heart care services. The Ascension hospital emergency departments have an on-call team of interventional cardiologists and surgeons.
In our heart catherization labs, these doctors open blocked coronary arteries to restore blood flow. Using a very small incision in the wrist, but with great skill and efficiency, a catheter is navigated to the blockage in the artery by the heart.
During an angioplasty, a small balloon inflates and opens the blocked artery. Some patients need a vascular stent (or wire mesh tube) to keep the artery open.
Ascension cardiologists are highly trained in radial artery catherization. The wrist is the entry point. This technique significantly reduces the risk of bleeding compared to using a femoral access point in the groin. Overall, wrist access is more comfortable for you and has fewer complications.
A variety of minimally invasive interventions are available at Ascension sites of care throughout the greater Milwaukee area:
- Intracoronary stenting including drug-coated stenting
- Carotid artery stenting
- Intra-aortic balloon pump therapy (IABP)
Non-invasive Diagnostic Heart Testing
The cardiologists and radiologists in the diagnostic testing labs use the latest imaging technologies to pinpoint heart problems. With our streamlined patient scheduling system, we can perform the test, generate a digital report easily accessible by your doctor, and keep your care plan moving ahead on time. Some of the advanced cardiac tests we perform include:
- Carotid artery doppler ultrasound
- Coronary CT Angiography
- Echocardiography-- 2D Echo, Transesophageal Echo (TEE) and Doppler Studies
- Electrophysiology lab testing including EKG and 3D mapping
- Nuclear Cardiology Imaging
- Stress Testing—exercise and medically-induced stress Echo with or without nuclear imaging
At Ascension, we want to keep you out of surgery, but when it’s necessary we have the expertise you need. Our compassionate care team is committed to your overall health and well-being.