A hepatobiliary program for liver cancer care
Liver cancer care at Ascension Wisconsin
Doctors specialize in liver cancer care
At Ascension, our doctors listen to understand you and your health concerns. Our experienced cancer specialists provide diagnostic testing to deliver a care plan that’s right for you. Having chronic liver damage (cirrhosis) increases the risk of developing liver cancer, also called hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
Common symptoms of liver cancer
Having cirrhosis of the liver scars the liver tissue and affects your liver function. Our gastroenterology specialists provide care to adults of all ages with hepatitis B, hepatitis C, alcohol-related liver disease, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and infections in your abdomen and gastrointestinal tract. We manage these conditions to help prevent liver cancer and other chronic liver diseases. Symptoms of liver cancer often include liver dysfunction and:
- Abdominal pain
- Bloody or dark stools
- Easy bruising
- Fluid build-up in the stomach
- General discomfort
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin)
- Throwing up blood
- Unexplained weight loss
Liver cancer treatments close to home
The Ascension Wisconsin hepatobiliary program provides advanced testing and treatments, including:
- External beam radiotherapy: Precision radiation technology targets the tumor and helps prevent exposure to healthy tissue.
- Immunotherapy: With immunotherapy, drugs are used to enhance the body’s immune system and help prevent tumor growth.
- Surgery: Our surgeons provide advanced surgical treatments, including resection, ablation and liver transplant.
- Systemic chemotherapy: Our medical oncologists provide chemotherapy drug treatment specifically for hepatocellular cancer.
- Transarterial chemoembolization therapy: Micro-sized beads deliver high doses of the chemotherapy drugs directly to the tumor.
Cancer Clinical trials
Ascension Wisconsin cancer centers participate in ongoing clinical trials. For more information contact the Ascension Wisconsin Research Institute by calling 414-635-6420 or emailing AWRI.Inquiry@ascension.org.
Learn more about our cancer care services close to home.