Liver cancer specialists in Wisconsin
You can have confidence in your care at At Ascension Wisconsin. Our multi-specialty team is dedicated to diagnosing and treating adults with liver cancer. We start by listening to understand you and your health concerns. Then, we work together to create a care plan that’s right for you. Advanced diagnostic testing is used to diagnose liver disease and cancer. Having chronic liver damage (cirrhosis) increases your risk of developing liver cancer.
Common symptoms of liver cancer
Having cirrhosis of the liver scars the liver tissue and affects your liver function. Gastroenterology specialists provide care to adults of all ages with hepatitis B, hepatitis C, alcohol-related liver disease, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and infections in your abdomen and gastrointestinal tract. We manage these conditions to help prevent liver cancer and other chronic liver diseases. Symptoms of liver cancer often include:
- Abdominal pain
- Bloody or dark stools
- Easy bruising
- Fluid build-up in the stomach
- General discomfort
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin)
- Throwing up blood
- Unexplained weight loss
Liver cancer treatment, close to home
Your health is our priority. By getting to know you and your health, we create a treatment plan that’s personalized for your needs. At Ascension Wisconsin we provide advanced treatments, including:
- External beam radiotherapy: Precision radiation technology targets the tumor and helps prevent exposure to healthy tissue.
- Immunotherapy: With immunotherapy, drugs are used to enhance the body’s immune system and help prevent tumor growth.
- Surgery: Our surgeons provide advanced surgical treatments, including resection, ablation and liver transplant.
- Systemic chemotherapy: Our medical oncologists provide chemotherapy drug treatment specifically for hepatocellular cancer.
- Transarterial chemoembolization therapy: Micro-sized beads deliver high doses of the chemotherapy drugs directly to the tumor.
- Transarterial radioembolization: This type of internal radiation therapy is used by interventional radiology to treat cancer.
Cancer clinical trials
Ascension Wisconsin cancer centers participate in ongoing clinical trials. For more information contact the Ascension Wisconsin Research Institute by calling 414-635-6420 or emailing AWRI.Inquiry@ascension.org.
Learn more about our cancer care services close to home.