A Place for Healing
We are dedicated to providing children with the most advanced cancer care in a supportive and compassionate environment.
Detroit Pediatric Cancer Treatment Center
Within the Van Elslander Cancer Center, the Ascension team provides young cancer patients with the most advanced care in a supportive and compassionate environment. Our experienced physician team includes specialists in pediatrics, orthopedics, surgery, pathology, radiology and radiotherapy. These physicians work side by side with psychologists, nurses, child-life specialists and social workers who have special expertise in caring for children and adolescents with cancer.
Our pediatric cancer patients receive treatment in a hopeful, warm, comfortable atmosphere, designed as a cityscarpe, known as The Village. At the Village, we offer treatment for:
- Bleeding Disorders
- Sickle cell anemia
- Platelet disorders
- White cell disorders
- Anemias of childhood
- Childhood leukemia and lymphoma
- Brain tumors
- Kidney tumors
- Other pediatric cancers of any type
In children’s cancer, research is continually being conducted and has been critical to the phenomenal advances that have been made in survival rates. To gain access to the latest research, our physicians participate in Children’s Oncology Group (COG), an international research organization of healthcare professionals devoted to the study and treatment of pediatric malignancies. That means we can provide cutting edge treatment protocols for all forms of childhood cancer – even the rarest.
For adolescents and young adults with cancer
The needs of adolescents and young adults with cancer differ from those of children and older adults. Recognizing these differences, the clinical team at Ascension developed a program to address the unique challenges of adolescents and young adults with cancer.
The Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) Oncology program was developed to customize care, conduct research, and offer support and education tailored to the specific needs of adolescents and young adults with cancer.
The AYA program offers:
- Expert medical, pediatric and gynecological oncology treatment for AYA cancers
- Assessment of patients’ medical, educational and psychosocial needs and referrals to appropriate services and advocates
- Comprehensive care that addresses issues such as fertility, dating and intimacy, insurance, vocational training, schooling, and parental involvement
- The chance to enroll in clinical trials specific to cancer type and age group
- A body-mind-spirit approach to healing that provides care in outpatient and inpatient settings that are comfortable and appropriate for our patients