Personalized care to prevent and treat lung cancer
Lung cancer care in Nashville
Cancer specialists at Ascension Saint Thomas Midtown, in Nashville, and at Ascension Saint Thomas Rutherford, in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, deliver personalized care for conditions that affect your lungs and airways. We start by listening to you, to better understand you and your health. Then, we work together to create a care plan that’s right for you.
By using diagnostic tests such as low-dose CT scans and chest x-rays, we are able to diagnose breathing conditions, lung nodules and lung cancer. Ask your doctor about what screening is right for you.
How do I know if I am eligible for a lung cancer screening?
The US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends yearly lung cancer screening with Low-Dose Computerized Tomography (LDCT) scans for people who are:
- 50-80 years old
- A current smoker or a person who quit smoking in the past 15 years
- Have at least a 20 pack year smoking history. (This is the number of years you smoked multiplied by the number of packs of cigarettes per day.)
- Have no signs or symptoms of lung cancer (Lung Cancer Signs & Symptoms | Common Symptoms of Lung Cancer)
- In good health, and could tolerate treatment for early stage lung cancer
Specialized care for lung nodules
At Ascension Saint Thomas, we have a team of pulmonologists who specialize in diagnosing and treating lung nodules. A lung nodule is a small mass that may or may not be cancerous. Our screening and surveillance program has been named a Screening Center of Excellence and Care Continuum Center of Excellence by the GO2 Foundation for Lung Cancer.
Lung cancer symptoms
Signs of large or small-cell lung cancer may include:
- A cough that does not go away or gets worse
- Chest pain that gets worse with deep breathing, coughing or laughing
- Coughing up blood or rust-colored sputum
- Loss of appetite
- New onset of wheezing
- Repeated lung infections of bronchitis or pneumonia
- Shortness of breath
- Unexplained weight loss
Tell your doctor if you are experiencing any of these symptoms.
Pulmonology specialists at Saint Thomas Midtown, Rutherford and West
Ascension Saint Thomas provides pulmonary medicine to help our patients with lung diseases. Our doctors specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of lung nodules. For more information, contact our Lung Nurse Navigator.
Multi-specialty lung cancer care
When lung cancer is detected, our pulmonologist, thoracic surgeon and oncologist work together to deliver advanced, multi-specialty cancer care. Our minimally invasive, robotic-assisted technology helps our chest surgeon biopsy and remove hard-to-reach tumors. Treatment for lung cancer may also include:
- External beam and stereotactic radiation therapy
- Genetic testing
- Targeted immunotherapy
At Ascension Saint Thomas cancer centers, our doctors participate in lung cancer clinical trials. Talk to your lung specialist and our clinical trial coordinator to learn more.
Network of thoracic surgeons for lung cancer care
Throughout Middle Tennessee, our board-certified thoracic surgeons deliver advanced surgical care for lung cancer and the removal of benign lung nodules.
Cancer support for your recovery
Our cancer care team offers cancer support throughout your care plan to help improve your recovery and quality of life. We focus on your physical and emotional health and connect you to local and national cancer support services. For questions, talk to our lung cancer nurse navigator at 615-284-2273 or use our online form.
Other Ascension Saint Thomas Cancer Services include:
- Cancer wellness and survivorship programs
- Respiratory therapy, smoking and tobacco cessation program
- Social work, financial counseling and assistance
- Spiritual care