GI and Colorectal Cancer Care in Michigan
Get GI and colorectal care in Michigan
The Ascension Michigan GI and Colorectal Cancer program offers comprehensive cancer care services for gastrointestinal cancers such as colon, rectum, pancreas, biliary, liver, gastric, esophageal and all other GI cancers. Your multispecialty care team starts by listening to you, to better understand you and your health. Then, we work together to deliver personalized care. Our care ranges from prevention and early detection to diagnosis, treatment and survivorship programs.
Helping detect colorectal cancers early
Personal and family history of colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel diseases and certain genetic syndromes can increase your risk for colorectal cancer. Other risk factors may include:
- Your age
- Being overweight or obese
- Diets high in red or processed meats
- Heavy use of alcohol
- Physical inactivity
At age 45, men and women should start talking with their doctor about colorectal cancer screenings.
Getting a screening may help detect cancer early. And when cancer is detected early, there may be more options for treatment too. At Ascension Michigan, we offer several types of colorectal cancer screenings. Your doctor can help you decide what screening is right for you.
- Fecal immunochemical test (FIT) checks for hidden blood in the stool from the lower intestines and can be done in the privacy of your own home.
- Cologuard® is done in the privacy of your home. This tests for colon cancer by identifying abnormal DNA and traces of blood in the stool that can be caused by precancerous polyps and colon cancer.
- Colonoscopy is an exam used to detect changes or abnormalities in the colon and rectum using a long, flexible tube (colonoscope) and a tiny video camera.
Ascension Michigan GI and colorectal cancer care team
When you choose Ascension Michigan for your cancer care, you get a multispecialty care team dedicated to your care. We specialize in all types of GI cancers at any stage — no matter what your diagnosis is, we’re here for you. The board-certified, fellowship-trained surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, radiologists, interventional radiologists, radiation oncologists, gastroenterologists, pathologists, nurse practitioners, registered dieticians and nurse navigators collaboratively work together using the most advanced technology.
The importance of tumor board: A dynamic tool that the Ascension Michigan GI and colorectal cancer care teams use in treating cancer is a multidisciplinary tumor board. Through virtual and non virtual tumor boards, patients with complex cancers benefit from multiple expert clinical opinions reviewing their personal case. Our team stretches across the state of Michigan and are here to help support you throughout your journey. The same specialists that make up your care team have access to the details of your case and meet to discuss and provide cancer care perspectives so that you receive the best possible options as you move through your cancer journey.
The cancer specialists listed below are highly engaged members of the Ascension Michigan GI and Colorectal tumor boards in regions throughout the state.
Surgical oncologists and colorectal surgeons
Dr. Amer Alame, St. Clair Shores
Dr. Richard Berri, Grosse Pointe Woods
Dr. Attasit Chokechanachaisakul, Grosse Pointe Woods
Dr. Amir Damadi, Southfield
Dr. Ernesto Drelichman, Macomb
Dr. Alexandria Glenn, St. Clair Shores
Dr. Michael Jacobs, Southfield, Novi
Dr. Sachin Patil, Southfield, Novi
Dr. Amer Zeni, St. Clair Shores, Sterling Heights
Mid & Northern Michigan
Dr. Mark Mattingly, Flint
Dr. Omar Marar, Saginaw
Dr. Wael Solh, Saginaw
Dr. Cibar Benitez, Southfield, Novi
Dr. Adam Biedny, Grosse Pointe Woods
Dr. Adam Forman, Southfield
Dr. Tarik Hadid, Warren
Dr. Hosam Hakim, Grosse Pointe Woods
Dr. Zyad Kafri, Grosse Pointe Woods
Dr. Wajahat Khan, Macomb
Dr. Susan Lyons, Novi
Dr. Malgorzata Sobilo, Rochester Hills
Mid & Northern Michigan
Dr. Muhammad Hameed, Kalamazoo
Dr. Eyad Abu-Isa, Southfield, Novi
Dr. Amr Aref, Grosse Pointe Woods, Macomb Township
Dr. Cynthia Browne, Grosse Pointe
Dr. June Chan, Novi
Dr. Paul Chuba, Warren, Rochester Hills
Dr. Laura Kollar McNew, Southfield
Dr. Anna Rabbani, Rochester Hills, Warren
Dr. Maria Vlachaki, Grosse Pointe, Rochester Hills
Mid & Northern Michigan
Dr. Neal Bhatt, Saginaw, West Branch, Marlette
Dr. Paul Kocheril, Flint
Dr. Tushar Shah, Flint
Dr. Daniel Chamberlain, Kalamazoo
Dr. Brandon Mancini, Kalamazoo
Dr. Mazen Mislmani, Kalamazoo
Dr. Jeffrey Radawski, Kalamazoo
Meet our nurse navigators
The Ascension Michigan GI and Colorectal Cancer program will connect you with a nurse navigator to educate you, answer your questions and help guide you and your family through the cancer journey. Your nurse navigator will also be an advocate for you and help you get treatment in a timely manner.
Joshua Bedell, RN- Grand Blanc
Nichole Thumme, RN - Saginaw
GI and Colorectal Cancer program services
Through the access of advanced imaging and minimally-invasive surgical technology and techniques, our care teams can provide a more accurate diagnosis and work together with you on a treatment plan that best fits your personal goals. The GI and Colorectal Cancer program throughout Ascension Michigan offers the following treatment and surgical services for complete gastrointestinal cancer care:
- Surgical oncology: Advanced GI and colorectal surgical techniques, including minimally invasive (robotic and laparoscopic) surgery, are used to remove as much cancer as possible while saving healthy tissue.
- Medical oncology: Advanced treatments in chemotherapy, hormone therapy, targeted therapy, and immunotherapy
- Radiation oncology: Advanced radiation therapy is used to target and destroy cancer cells while avoiding the surrounding healthy tissue.
- Gastroenterology: Advanced, minimally-invasive procedures are used to diagnose and treat tumors and lesions in the GI tract (including endoscopic ultrasound).
- Supportive care teams: Social workers are part of our care team to help you through your journey.
- Nutritional counseling: Registered dieticians will work with you to create a comprehensive nutrition plan based on your diagnosis and treatment.
- Clinical trials: Research studies and clinical trials can give you the opportunity to receive advanced treatments. Ascension Michigan oncology specialists have access to hundreds of trials and can help you decide if one is right for you.
Complex cancer care
- Gastric Cancer Care Program: Led by a multidisciplinary team, this program is focused on the care of patients diagnosed with gastrointestinal cancers including those with esophageal, gastric, pancreatic, and liver/hepatobiliary cancers using cutting-edge treatments such as laparoscopic and robotic pancreas and liver, and gastric resections.
- Ascension Michigan’s leading Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) program is a unique treatment option for those with advanced abdominal cavity cancers such as: colorectal, gastric, ovarian, appendiceal, mesothelioma or any gastrointestinal or gynecologic cancer that has spread to the peritoneum.
- Advanced interventional radiology techniques such as radioembolization, chemoembolization, microwave and radiofrequency ablations which are used in the treatment of complex GI and colorectal cancers.
Find a location near you
Ascension offers cancer care services throughout the state of Michigan.
Van Elslander Cancer Center, Grosse Pointe Woods
Webber Cancer Center, Warren
Ascension Providence Cancer Center, Southfield
Assarian Cancer Center, Novi
Ascension St. John Hospital Cancer Care, Macomb
Ascension St. John Hospital Cancer Center Rochester, Rochester Hills
Ascension Medical Group Borgess Cancer Center, Kalamazoo
Ascension St. Mary’s Hospital Seton Cancer Institute, Saginaw
Ascension St. Mary’s Hospital Seton Cancer Institute, West Branch
Ascension St. Joseph Hospital Seton Cancer Institute, Tawas
Ascension Genesys Hurley Cancer Institute, Flint
Seton Cancer Institute, Marlette