Ascension Michigan Breast Cancer Program
Breast Cancer Care in Michigan
The Ascension Michigan Breast Cancer program delivers a full range of breast care — from prevention and early breast cancer detection to personalized cancer care.
Understanding your breast health is an important part of your overall wellness. By staying up-to-date on your breast screenings, you and your doctor can have a better understanding of your breast health. We recommend women get a mammogram each year, starting at age 40. Our breast specialists start by listening to you. By getting to know you and your health history, we can recommend the breast screening that’s right for you.
If breast cancer is detected during your mammogram, we connect you to breast cancer specialists at Ascension Michigan. You’re not alone. We understand that when it comes to your breast health, making the right decision is important. Your doctors and care team take the time to answer your questions — big and small. Then, we explain your diagnosis and your treatment options. Our highly trained multidisciplinary team works together to create a personalized care plan based on your age, family history, type of cancer and personal preferences.
If you’re looking for a second opinion, Ascension Michigan is here for you. Getting a second opinion not only provides more information about your condition, but it may also help you feel more confident in the doctor and the care plan you choose.
Our statewide Breast Cancer Care Program follows the metric standards set by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC).
Ascension Michigan Breast Cancer program team
When you choose Ascension Michigan for your cancer care, you get a multispecialty care team dedicated to your personalized care. We specialize in the management of all types of breast cancers regardless of stage. The board-certified, fellowship-trained breast surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, breast radiologists, radiation oncologists, geneticists, pathologists, nurse practitioners and nurse navigators work together to provide seamless care across specialties.
The importance of our tumor board
Through virtual and non-virtual tumor boards, patients with complex cancers benefit from multiple clinical opinions reviewing their personal case. Our multidisciplinary team stretches across the state of Michigan and are here to help support you throughout your journey. The same specialists that make up your care team meet weekly to discuss newly diagnosed breast cancer cases. They have access to the details of your case and discuss treatment options so that you receive personalized treatment plan options tailored to your cancer.
The cancer specialists listed below are highly engaged members of the Ascension Michigan breast cancer tumor boards in regions throughout the state.
Dr. Jeffrey Falk, Grosse Pointe Woods, Macomb Township, Rochester
Dr. Narendra Gohel, Warren
Dr. Nafisa Kuwajerwala, Southfield, Novi, Rochester
Dr. Pamela Johnson, Rochester
Dr. Natalie Rizk, Grosse Pointe Woods, Macomb Township
Mid and Northern Michigan
Dr. Linda Dubay, Grand Blanc, Novi
Dr. Linsey Gold, Flint
Dr. Ashley Richardson, Flint
Dr. Andrea Gothels, Grand Blanc
Dr. Suzanne Law, Flint
Dr. Lisa WintonLi, Saginaw, Tawas
Dr. Daniel Barnas, Kalamazoo
Mid and Northern Michigan
Dr. Eyad Abu-Isa, Southfield, Novi
Dr. Elizabeth Ajlouni, Warren, Macomb
Dr. Amr Aref, Grosse Pointe Woods, Macomb Township
Dr. Cynthia Browne, Grosse Pointe Woods
Dr. June Chan, Southfield, Novi
Dr. Paul Chuba, Warren, Rochester
Dr. Laura Kollar McNew, Southfield
Dr. Anna Rabbani, Rochester, Warren
Dr. Maria Vlachaki, Macomb Township
Mid and Northern Michigan
Dr. Neal Bhatt, Saginaw, West Branch, Marlette
Dr. Paul Kocheril, Flint
Dr. Tushar Shah, Flint
Dr. Daniel Chamberlain, Kalamazoo
Dr. Brandon Mancini, Kalamazoo
Dr. Mazen Mislmani, Kalamazoo
Dr. Jeffrey Radawski, Kalamazoo
Lead Breast Radiologists
Dr. Anthony Hamame, Detroit
Dr. Daniel Macek, Warren
Dr. Julie Shultz, Rochester
Dr. Evita Singh, Novi, Southfield, Livonia, Farmington Hills, Livingston
Dr. Nedi Gari, Novi, Southfield, Farmington Hills
Dr. James Selis, Novi, Southfield, Farmington Hills
Dr. Thomas Hall, Novi
Mid and Northern Michigan
Dr. Steve Min, Saginaw
Dr. Kimberly Johnson, Saginaw
Dr. Marcio Curvelo, Kalamazoo
Meet our navigator team
The Ascension Michigan Breast Cancer program connects you to a breast nurse navigator. Your nurse navigator is here to educate you, answer your questions and help guide you and your family from diagnosis and treatment to support services and recovery care. Your breast nurse navigator is an advocate for you and helps you get treatment in a timely manner.
Jeannine Mercurio, RN, CNBN - Grosse Pointe Woods
Kristin Chevrette, RN - Rochester
Karen Heckman, RN, CNBN - Warren
Dawn Balagna Aubrey, RN OCN - Grand Blanc
Vanessa Edwards, RN, CNBN - Southfield, Novi
Breast cancer screenings are important
Finding breast cancer early can help save lives. That’s why breast cancer screenings are so important. Talk to your doctor about when you should start getting mammograms. They can also help determine which type of mammogram is right for you. And talk with your doctor anytime you have concerns between screenings. And while screening mammograms are covered by insurance, please verify your insurance coverage before scheduling any breast care service.
If you are at average risk, we recommend:
- Every woman should have a clinical breast exam starting at age 25.
- Annual mammogram starting at age 40, and to continue until age 74.
- If you are over the age of 74 years discussion should be held with your doctor about continuing breast screening mammograms.
If you are at an increased risk for breast cancer, we recommend:
- Women with higher lifetime risk (positive genetic mutation, personal history of breast cancer, history of biopsy with “atypia” or multiple family members with breast cancer) should speak with their doctor or a breast specialist about appropriate screening schedules which includes incorporating annual supplemental breast MRI in conjunction with screening mammogram.
- Biannual clinical breast exam starting at age 25.
- Genetic evaluation and testing.
A physician referral is needed for all mammograms. And, we make getting your mammogram convenient, with online scheduling and appointments available near you.
Breast cancer services
Cancer is personal. So is the way we care for you. By understanding you and your cancer, we create a care plan using the latest technology and support services that are right for you. Your care plan may include surgery, radiation, or a combination of both. Ascension Michigan breast cancer care team offers the following services for complete breast cancer care:
- Breast radiology: Advanced breast screening imaging options such as 3D mammograms, breast ultrasound, automated breast ultrasound, and high-risk screening with breast MRI.
- Medical oncology: Through our breast cancer program, you have access to advanced treatments in chemotherapy, hormone therapy, targeted immunotherapy, and clinical trials.
- Breast surgery: Surgeons work with dedicated plastic surgeons to offer breast-conserving lumpectomies using smaller, more precise incisions, or mastectomies with immediate reconstruction. An early consultation with plastic and reconstructive surgeons may help you decide what surgery option is right for you.
- Radiation oncology: Advanced radiation therapy is used to target and destroy cancer cells while avoiding the surrounding healthy tissue.
- Genetic counseling and testing: If you are high-risk or have a family history of breast cancer, we deliver cancer genetic testing and counseling to help you and your doctor better understand your risk.
Going through cancer treatments and recovery can be difficult — physically and emotionally. But you don’t have to go through it alone. Your care team is with you every step of the way. We offer many different support services for you and your family. Whether you need a ride to an appointment or you’re looking for a support group, we have services to help. Ask your doctor or nurse navigator about our support services:
• Oncology supportive services
• Social work
• Financial services
• Nutritional counseling
• Palliative and hospice care
• Integrative medicine
• Healing arts services
• Transportation services
• Lymphedema management
• Oncology rehabilitation/cancer fatigue
• Religious and spiritual care
• American Cancer Society partnership
• Support groups
• DigniCap, Wig Bank and related programs
• Long-term survivorship programs and care
Find a cancer location near you
Ascension offers cancer care services throughout the state of Michigan.
Van Elslander Cancer Center, Grosse Pointe Woods
Webber Cancer Center, Warren
Ascension Providence Cancer Center, Southfield
Assarian Cancer Center, Novi
Ascension St. John Hospital Cancer Care, Macomb
Ascension St. John Hospital Cancer Center Rochester, Rochester Hills
Ascension Medical Group Borgess Cancer Center, Kalamazoo
Ascension St. Mary’s Hospital Seton Cancer Institute, Saginaw
Ascension St. Mary’s Hospital Seton Cancer Institute, West Branch
Ascension St. Joseph Hospital Seton Cancer Institute, Tawas
Ascension Genesys Hurley Cancer Institute, Flint
Ascension Genesys Cancer Center, Grand Blanc
Seton Cancer Institute, Marlette