Advanced pediatric cardiology care
From the routine to the most complex and critical heart conditions, the advanced care you need for your child is here at the Texas Center for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Disease at Dell Children’s. The Center is a clinical partnership between Dell Children’s Medical Center and UT Health Austin, the clinical practice of the Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin.
Housed at Dell Children's Medical Center, the Texas Center for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Disease diagnoses, treats, and manages the care of children and adults with heart diseases and defects, including aortic coarctation, congenital heart disease, heart failure, pulmonary atresia, pulmonary valve stenosis, single ventricle defects, ventricular septal defects, and more. Led by Chief of Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery Charles Fraser, Jr., MD, who has been part of some of the finest institutions in medicine (including the children’s heart program ranked number one in America by U.S. News and World Report), our team provides a multifaceted continuum of care, coordinating patient care with referring physicians and other care team members to ensure patients receive the highest level of specialized care and experience a seamless transition to adult congenital cardiac care.
The Texas Center for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Disease is the only pediatric program in Central Texas offering comprehensive heart care for newborns, infants, children, and adolescents.
Our personalized care plans are tailored to the needs of each child, and their families or caregivers. Care is coordinated with referring doctors and other specialty care team members to ensure that our patients receive the highest level of specialized care and a smooth transition into adult congenital cardiac care. Our nationally recognized pediatric cardiovascular team delivers advanced specialty care, including complex reconstruction and cardiac transplants — even for the tiniest of patients.
Our heart program multidisciplinary team
Our program is committed to excellence and has a staff of over 150 and still growing to provide world-class quality care to children with congenital heart conditions and acquired heart disease. Our multidisciplinary team includes:
- Fellowship-trained and board-certified doctors in pediatric cardiovascular surgery, cardiac intensive care, cardiovascular anesthesiology, cardiology, and heart failure and transplant.
- Dedicated interventional cardiologists specially trained and certified to perform complex cardiac procedures in our state-of-the-art cath labs.
- An integrated and robust outcome and research driven team that continuously tracks results and identifies ways to improve the patient-centered care we provide.
- A unique psychosocial team integrated in the heart center to help provide the support you and your child needs.
As a patient of the Texas Center for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Disease and Dell Children’s Medical Center, you and your child will also have access to:
- 24-bed dedicated cardiac care unit with a 24/7 on-site pediatric cardiac critical care physician coverage and a large multidisciplinary team using state-of-the-art technology to manage your child’s care.
- Access to the Comprehensive Fetal Care Center at Dell Children’s. A comprehensive program to care for pregnant moms with babies diagnosed with complex fetal and congenital conditions.
- Multidisciplinary single ventricle program that works with you and your family to ensure that your baby has optimal care inside and outside the hospital.
- The only pediatric Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) Program in Austin. ECMO is the use of mechanical devices to temporarily support heart or lung function during cardiopulmonary failure. Unique standardized approach to coronary anomalies ensuring that your child receives a comprehensive and multidisciplinary review of the data and the best care possible.
- Supported by the largest network of pediatric specialists and specialty programs in Central Texas.
- Exclusive partnership with Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin to help expand medical and surgical services for pediatric cardiology through education and research.
- Level IV NICU onsite ensures your newborn is getting the highest level of newborn care.
- The only American College of Surgeons (ACS) Level 1 Verified Pediatric Surgery Center in Central Texas means your child has the highest level of surgery care if surgery is needed.
- The only onsite Level I Pediatric Trauma Center in Central Texas ensures your child has access to the highest level of emergency care.
Heart Failure, VAD and Transplant Program at Dell Children’s
The Heart Failure, VAD and Transplant Program in the Texas Center for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Disease at Dell Children’s offers the only program in Central Texas providing complete multidisciplinary care for children with complex and progressive heart failure or who need a heart transplant. The program offers every aspect of transplantation on-site at Dell Children’s Medical Center. We have a specialized team of doctors dedicated to caring for children undergoing heart transplantation. From the initial evaluation through follow-up care, our expert cardiologists will deliver the full spectrum of transplant care needs for patients, families and referring providers.
To schedule an appointment, call the Dell Children’s Heart Line at 855-324-0091.
Collaboration with UT Health Austin
UT Health Austin is the clinical practice of the Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin. The collaboration between UT Health Austin and Dell Children’s brings together a team of highly specialized providers who are at the forefront of the latest research and technological developments in this field of medicine to build an integrated system of care that is a collaborative resource for clinicians and their patients.