Eligibility and Award Criteria
Eligibility for the program is restricted to candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Employed by Ascension Saint Thomas prior to March 1 of previous year (i.e. applying for 2021 scholarships, but be employed by Ascension Saint Thomas prior to March 1, 2020).
- Accepted into an approved and accredited academic program at the time of scholarship distribution
- Achieved a satisfactory achievement rating in most recent performance review and not currently involved in any disciplinary process
- Completed the application (inclusive of recommendations, submission of any required transcripts or proof of admissions) by submission deadlines
- Demonstrated some basis of financial need as evidenced in your application
Once a candidate is deemed eligible for consideration, all applications are reviewed by the Scholarship Committee. Those applicants who demonstrate strong academic ability, a commitment to Ascension Saint Thomas and the mission, an interest in pursuing a field of study that meets industry demand and have financial need shall be given first consideration.
Scholarship awards are ultimately based on availability of funds and the Foundation's ability to make awards from restricted funds with specific parameters as determined by the donor. Once a recipient is notified they have received an award, all scholarship recipients must also comply with the following:
- Scholarship recipients are required to participate in our donor stewardship program by providing thank-you notes whenever a specific donor is involved in an award. Ascension Saint Thomas Foundation will notify those recipients who are required to comply.
- On occasion donors enjoy meeting their scholarship recipients and mandatory events or gatherings will occur to facilitate an opportunity for donors and recipients to meet. Ascension Saint Thomas Foundation will notify those recipients who are required to comply.
- The scholarship program is intended to provide educational opportunities to Ascension Saint Thomas Associates who will then serve the institution and its patients with enhanced knowledge and skill. We ask that no Associate apply who has knowledge or intention of leaving Ascension Saint Thomas during a school term or within 12 months after graduation. Some funds have specific guidelines on reimbursement should this occur. Ascension Saint Thomas reserves the right to seek scholarship reimbursement from those recipients who leave Ascension Saint Thomas within 12 months after the school term a scholarship award was used.
Instructions and Mandatory Requirements:
- Use your Ascension Saint Thomas email to complete and submit your application online.
- A recommendation letter must be submitted from your Ascension Saint Thomas manager to Scholarships@ascension.org.
- Optional: A reference letter may be submitted from a colleague, mentor or professor as an additional recommendation to Scholarships@ascension.org at your discretion.
Note: Ascension Saint Thomas Foundation scholarships are available to associates of Ascension Saint Thomas with active Ascension emails only.