While you are waiting for your transplant, which may be several years, it is important you keep in contact with our team. There are specific events which must happen for you to stay active on the transplant list. Your coordinator will stay in touch with you regarding your requirements.
This list outlines some of the requirements.
- Yearly return visits to the Ascension Sacred Heart Kidney Transplant Program.
- Testing as required for your case - Usually heart testing and routine cancer screenings.
- Routine blood samples to be sent in to follow CPRA levels (antibodies you may have against possible donors).
- Monthly dialysis unit reports. YOU need to keep in touch with your coordinator regarding any changes in your medical, social or insurance status; or any concerns you may have.
As you wait for your transplant, there are things you can do to ensure that you will be prepared and your transplant will go smoothly.
- Your health is a very important factor. Be sure to maintain your diet and exercise during this waiting process. Follow the care plan provided to you by your treating physicians.
- Keep all scheduled appointments with your transplant team.
- Maintain your normal health screenings. Inform your transplant coordinator of any changes in your health.
- Be aware of changes in your financial status (insurance). Notify your financial coordinator of any financial changes that may occur.
- Make sure you have proper arrangements for transportation when you are called in for transplantation.
- Ensure you have a way to be reached at all times. If you cannot be located when there is an organ offer for you, the organ offer will go to the next available recipient and you will miss a chance for a transplant.
Ascension Sacred Heart and University of Florida Health are collaborating through the University's Division of Transplant Surgery, Department of Surgery, College of Medicine.